GossipsNG.com
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Society
  • Latest
  • World
No Result
View All Result
Wednesday, May 20, 2026
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Society
  • Latest
  • World
No Result
View All Result
GossipsNG.com
No Result
View All Result

64 killed in attack on Sudan healthcare facility: WHO

by News Break
May 20, 2026
in World
0
152
SHARES
1.9k
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Whatsapp

A strike on a healthcare facility in Sudan has killed 64 people and wounded 89 more, the World Health Organization reported on Saturday.

The UN’s humanitarian office in Sudan had earlier said it was “appalled by the attack on a hospital in East Darfur yesterday, reportedly killing dozens, including children, and injuring more”.

Sudanese rights group the Emergency Lawyers, who document atrocities in the war between Sudan’s army and the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces, reported it was an army drone strike that hit the El-Daein Teaching Hospital.

The RSF dominates the vast western Darfur region, while the army is in control of Sudan’s east, centre and north.

The WHO’s Surveillance System for Attacks marked Friday’s incident as “confirmed” but did not give an exact location.

The attack involved “violence with heavy weapons” and affected a secondary health care facility, medical personnel, patients, supplies and storage, the record showed.

Though the WHO counts and verifies attacks on health care, it does not attribute blame as it is not an investigative agency.

El-Daein, the RSF-controlled state capital of East Darfur, has been regularly attacked by the army, which is trying to push the paramilitary back towards its Darfur strongholds and away from Sudan’s central corridor.

Its most recent strike on the city’s market earlier this month set fire to oil barrels that burned for hours.

Near-daily drone strikes are now a hallmark of Sudan’s brutal war, killing dozens at a time, mostly in the southern Kordofan region.

UN rights chief Volker Turk this month said he was “appalled” after more than 200 civilians were reported killed by drone attacks within an eight-day period.

“Parties to the conflict in Sudan continue to use increasingly powerful drones to deploy explosive weapons with wide-area impacts in populated areas,” he said.

To the repeated condemnation of the UN, hospitals have been a regular target throughout the war.

By December, more than 1,800 people had been killed in attacks on health facilities since the start of the war, including 173 health workers, according to the United Nations.

This year, a total of 12 attacks on health care in Sudan have been recorded, causing 178 deaths and 237 injuries.

Across the country, the war has killed tens of thousands and driven more than 11 million people from their homes.

It has fuelled what the UN describes as the world’s largest displacement and hunger crises, with more 33 million people in need of humanitarian aid.

A strike on a healthcare facility in Sudan has killed 64 people and wounded 89 more, the World Health Organization reported on Saturday.

The UN’s humanitarian office in Sudan had earlier said it was “appalled by the attack on a hospital in East Darfur yesterday, reportedly killing dozens, including children, and injuring more”.

Sudanese rights group the Emergency Lawyers, who document atrocities in the war between Sudan’s army and the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces, reported it was an army drone strike that hit the El-Daein Teaching Hospital.

The RSF dominates the vast western Darfur region, while the army is in control of Sudan’s east, centre and north.

The WHO’s Surveillance System for Attacks marked Friday’s incident as “confirmed” but did not give an exact location.

The attack involved “violence with heavy weapons” and affected a secondary health care facility, medical personnel, patients, supplies and storage, the record showed.

Though the WHO counts and verifies attacks on health care, it does not attribute blame as it is not an investigative agency.

El-Daein, the RSF-controlled state capital of East Darfur, has been regularly attacked by the army, which is trying to push the paramilitary back towards its Darfur strongholds and away from Sudan’s central corridor.

Its most recent strike on the city’s market earlier this month set fire to oil barrels that burned for hours.

Near-daily drone strikes are now a hallmark of Sudan’s brutal war, killing dozens at a time, mostly in the southern Kordofan region.

UN rights chief Volker Turk this month said he was “appalled” after more than 200 civilians were reported killed by drone attacks within an eight-day period.

“Parties to the conflict in Sudan continue to use increasingly powerful drones to deploy explosive weapons with wide-area impacts in populated areas,” he said.

To the repeated condemnation of the UN, hospitals have been a regular target throughout the war.

By December, more than 1,800 people had been killed in attacks on health facilities since the start of the war, including 173 health workers, according to the United Nations.

This year, a total of 12 attacks on health care in Sudan have been recorded, causing 178 deaths and 237 injuries.

Across the country, the war has killed tens of thousands and driven more than 11 million people from their homes.

It has fuelled what the UN describes as the world’s largest displacement and hunger crises, with more 33 million people in need of humanitarian aid.

Related Posts

World

Ireland President ‘very proud, very worried’ after sister, aboard Gaza flotilla, detained by Israel | How it happened

May 20, 2026
World

After Assad’s fall, Syrians weigh homecoming against hard reality – analysis

May 20, 2026
World

Woman dies after falling into open manhole in Manhattan

May 20, 2026
World

Adidas stomps Nike: Sabastian Sawe landmark marathon includes footnote

May 20, 2026
World

Nancy Guthrie case: Annie, Tommaso Cioni ‘not seen at their home for over a week’, new claim emerges, ‘They moved into…’

May 20, 2026
World

Belarus holds nuclear weapons exercises, says drills are not 'aimed at other states'

May 20, 2026
No Result
View All Result
News

WAEC committee passes vote of confidence in Dangut leadership amid union talks

by News Break
May 20, 2026
0

The Administrative and Finance Committee of the West African Examinations Council has passed a vote of confidence in the leadership...

Read more

Europa League Final, Premier League Stakes Define Midweek Football on SuperSport

May 20, 2026

Ebola Risk High Regionally, Low Worldwide — WHO

May 20, 2026

NDC Finally Names Presidential Aspirant for 2027 Election

May 20, 2026

Ireland President ‘very proud, very worried’ after sister, aboard Gaza flotilla, detained by Israel | How it happened

May 20, 2026

President Federation Cup: Wikki Tourists, Jigawa Stars’ Clash Headline Round of 64 Duels

May 20, 2026

Child Trafficking: Two minors sold for ₦18,000 each, rescued after 4 months 

May 20, 2026

BREAKING: Motorcycle rider injured after alleged Customs chase in Lagos

May 20, 2026

Court Adjourns Fraud Trial Against Ex-AMCON Boss Ahmed Kuru

May 20, 2026

Nigerians have constitutional right to self-defence – Bwala

May 20, 2026
  • Home
  • About
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
© 2025 GossipsNG. All rights reserved.
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Society
  • Latest
  • World