GossipsNG.com
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Society
  • Latest
  • World
No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, May 19, 2026
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Society
  • Latest
  • World
No Result
View All Result
GossipsNG.com
No Result
View All Result

Bodies Of Four Missing Italian Divers Found In Undersea Maldives Cave

by News Break
May 19, 2026
in Society
0
152
SHARES
1.9k
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Whatsapp

 

 

The bodies of four Italians who drowned in the Maldives’ worst diving disaster were found in an underwater cave on Monday, Maldivian and Italian officials said, after an international recovery effort.

The bodies were found four days after a group of five Italians failed to return from a dive in the Indian Ocean tourist destination on Thursday, but have not yet been recovered.

Another body was found on Thursday, while a Maldivian National Defence Force rescuer died from decompression-related complications after surfacing during the search on Saturday.

The search was suspended after the death of MNDF diver Staff Sergeant Mohamed Mahudhy but resumed on Monday with assistance from Italy, Britain and Australia.

READ ALSO: Maldives Rescuers Search For Four Drowned Italian Divers

Three Finnish experts from the Divers Alert Network, an international dive safety group, were also involved.

“The bodies of four missing divers have been located inside the Vaavu Atoll cave during a joint search and recovery operation,” the MNDF said in a statement.

The foreign ministry in Rome also confirmed that the bodies of the four missing Italians had been located.

The MNDF said further dives will be “carried out in the coming days to recover the bodies”.

Chief Government Spokesman Mohamed Hussain Shareef told AFP that the four bodies were found in a cave that was much bigger and deeper than first thought.

“They were all found pretty much together in the third segment of the cave, which is bigger than what we initially thought,” Shareef said.

“The plan is to recover two of the bodies tomorrow and the other two possibly the day after,” he said.

The cave was at a depth of about 60 metres (195 feet). Tourists visiting the upmarket holiday destination are allowed to dive to a maximum depth of 30 metres.

Italy’s University of Genoa said the victims included a marine biology professor, her daughter, and two young researchers.

The Maldives has suspended the operating licence of the luxury vessel from which the Italians had been diving and launched an investigation to determine whether safety regulations had been breached.

Tourism is a key source of revenue for the low-lying Maldives, a nation of 1,192 small coral islands and atolls scattered some 800 kilometres (500 miles) across the equator in the Indian Ocean.

Its pristine beaches, clear turquoise waters and coral reefs attract divers and snorkellers from around the world, who often stay at secluded resorts or on live-aboard dive boats.

Several fatalities have been reported in recent years, but diving and water sports-related accidents remain relatively rare.

Related Posts

Society

Health Unions Suspend Strike As Akwa Ibom Govt Resolves EFCC-UUTH Crisis

May 18, 2026
Society

PSG’s Dembele Undergoes Treatment For Leg Issue Before Champions League Final

May 18, 2026
Society

WHO Kicks Off Annual Assembly Amid Hantavirus, Ebola Crises

May 18, 2026
Society

Russian Drone Hit Chinese Cargo Ship Overnight In Black Sea — Ukraine

May 18, 2026
Society

Victories, Disputes, Upsets In APC House Of Reps Primaries

May 18, 2026
Society

Rivers APC Disqualifies Ex-Deputy Governor Banigo, Others From Senate Race

May 18, 2026
No Result
View All Result
Headlines

Longest-Serving Reps Member Nicholas Mutu Loses APC Ticket After 27 Years in National Assembly

by News Break
May 19, 2026
0

Nicholas Mutu, who represents the Bomadi/Patani Federal Constituency in the House of Representatives, has lost the APC primary election ahead...

Read more

BREAKING: Shock Exit Looms! Guardiola Set To Quit Man City After Dominant Era

May 19, 2026

Guardiola Hails Chelsea Trio After Man City’s FA Cup Final Win

May 19, 2026

I Missed My 30th Birthday to Comfort a Grieving Friend. No One Checked on Me

May 19, 2026

Practical Skills, Not Certificates, Will Shape Nigeria’s Future — President Tinubu Informs Graduates

May 19, 2026

LaLiga: I’m sorry for joining Barcelona – Griezmann begs Atletico fans

May 19, 2026

Dangote sues FG over fresh petrol import licences

May 19, 2026

SHOCKING: No foreign soldier participated in the operation that eliminated terrorist commander, Abu Bilal Al-Minuki Maj.-Gen. Michael Onoja, Director, Defence Media Operations, has said

May 19, 2026

SIFAX Group Congratulates Onigbinde on Election as MARAN President

May 19, 2026

Repton CEO Calls for Digital Skills Acquisition at Lagos Career Fair

May 19, 2026
  • Home
  • About
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
© 2025 GossipsNG. All rights reserved.
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Society
  • Latest
  • World