GossipsNG.com
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Society
  • Latest
  • World
No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, May 19, 2026
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Society
  • Latest
  • World
No Result
View All Result
GossipsNG.com
No Result
View All Result

India condemns sinking of vessel as ‘unacceptable’ as Strait of Hormuz crisis continues

by News Break
May 15, 2026
in World
0
152
SHARES
1.9k
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Whatsapp

On The Ground newsletter: Get a weekly dispatch from our international correspondents

Get a weekly dispatch from our international correspondents

Get a weekly international news dispatch

On The Ground

An Indian-flagged wooden cargo vessel has sunk in Omani waters following a suspected drone or missile strike, India confirmed on Thursday.

This incident marks the second vessel lost in the region since the Iran conflict began on 28 February, a conflict that has left hundreds of ships stranded and 20,000 seafarers unable to navigate the Strait of Hormuz into the Gulf of Oman.

The dhow, a traditional wooden vessel, was en route to the United Arab Emirates from Somalia when it was struck in the early hours of Wednesday, according to India’s shipping ministry.

The impact caused a fire onboard, ultimately leading to its sinking.

All 14 crew members were successfully rescued by the Omani coast guard and transported to Diba port.

While India’s statement did not specify the nature of the attack or identify those responsible, British maritime risk management group Nggossips suggested the explosion was likely caused by a drone or missile. The vessel was reportedly carrying livestock.

The attack on the dhow – a vessel built of wood – happened while it was sailing to the United Arab Emirates from Somalia in the early hours of Wednesday, India's shipping ministry said in a statement
The attack on the dhow – a vessel built of wood – happened while it was sailing to the United Arab Emirates from Somalia in the early hours of Wednesday, India’s shipping ministry said in a statement (Associated Press)

Maritime security sources separately assessed that it was likely to have been a drone attack.

“The attack on an Indian-flagged ship off the coast of Oman yesterday is unacceptable and we deplore the fact that commercial shipping and civilian mariners continue to be targeted”, the Indian foreign ministry said in a statement.

“India reiterates that targeting commercial shipping and endangering innocent civilian crew members, or otherwise impeding freedom of navigation and commerce, should be avoided”, it said.

The vessel was named by Indian shipping ministry officials as the Haji Ali. It last reported its position off the coast of Muscat on 11 May, ship tracking data on the MarineTraffic platform showed. Its operators could not be reached for comment.

At least two other Indian-flagged ships have been attacked since the US-Israeli war with Iran erupted on 28 February.

Maritime security sources separately assessed that it was likely to have been a drone attack
Maritime security sources separately assessed that it was likely to have been a drone attack (Local Library)

India last month summoned the Iranian envoy to New Delhi and flagged its “deep concern” over the incidents.

The Iran war has sharply increased risks for commercial shipping in the Gulf, particularly around the Strait of Hormuz, a vital energy transit route, with multiple vessels attacked or damaged since the conflict began.

The latest Indian statement came as foreign ministers of the BRICS grouping, including from Iran, gathered in New Delhi for their annual meeting under the shadow of the war, testing the bloc’s ability to reach a unified position and produce a joint statement.

Related Posts

World

Terrifying video shows Six Flags patrons walking down rollercoaster drop after power outage

May 19, 2026
World

Amid Surgery, Prosthetic Claims, Iran Says Mojtaba Khamenei Has ‘Scratch Behind Ear’

May 19, 2026
World

Nuclear weapons ‘cornerstone’ of Russia’s national security: Kremlin

May 19, 2026
World

Trump issues dire warning to Iran to accept peace deal

May 19, 2026
World

Trump administration hosts White House Shabbat gathering for US 250th anniversary

May 19, 2026
World

Sexual misconduct scandals in Washington spark scramble for reforms, expedited investigations

May 19, 2026
No Result
View All Result
World

Amid Surgery, Prosthetic Claims, Iran Says Mojtaba Khamenei Has ‘Scratch Behind Ear’

by News Break
May 19, 2026
0

Iran claimed that its Supreme Leader Mojtaba Khamenei was suffering only from a "small scratch behind his ear" despite reports...

Read more

Terrifying video shows Six Flags patrons walking down rollercoaster drop after power outage

May 19, 2026

Nuclear weapons ‘cornerstone’ of Russia’s national security: Kremlin

May 19, 2026

UN Africa Peace Ambassador Salutes DCP Mohammed Ahmadu

May 19, 2026

42 students Abducted by terrorists in Borno school attack – Senator Ndume

May 19, 2026

#NairaLife: She Went From ₦20k to ₦300k/Month, but Her Struggles Haven’t Changed

May 19, 2026

“The most desperate politician in the world” – Davido calls out former Governor of Osun State, Gboyega Oyetola

May 19, 2026

At Least 67 Individual Killed As JNIM Fighters Overrun Niger Military Base Near Mali Border In Fresh Attack

May 19, 2026

APC vows to reclaim Jigawa South-West Senate seat from PDP

May 19, 2026

My Son Was Playing Outside House When His Mother Called Him To Get Ready,Someone Took Him Away-Usman

May 19, 2026
  • Home
  • About
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
© 2025 GossipsNG. All rights reserved.
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Society
  • Latest
  • World