GossipsNG.com
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Society
  • Latest
  • World
No Result
View All Result
Wednesday, May 20, 2026
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Society
  • Latest
  • World
No Result
View All Result
GossipsNG.com
No Result
View All Result

Meghan urges global health leaders to act to keep children safe online

by News Break
May 20, 2026
in World
0
152
SHARES
1.9k
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Whatsapp

Meghan, the Duchess of Sussex, has urged global health leaders to act to keep children safe online, adding they are being shaped by systems “designed to capture attention at any cost”.

Speaking at a memorial in Geneva, Switzerland, for people who have died after suffering digital harm, Meghan described children’s online safety as a “public health issue.”

The duchess made the remarks at the opening of the Lost Screen Memorial on Sunday, where she was joined by World Health Organization (WHO) director-general Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus.

She told global health leaders, ministers and families affected by online harm: “Children today are being shaped by systems designed to capture attention at any cost: relentless algorithms, exploitative engagement, and endless exposure to harmful content that they are not seeking out.”

The event featured an installation of 50 illuminated lightboxes, each displaying the mobile phone lockscreen image of a child who lost their life because of online violence and digital harm.

Referencing the display, the duchess said: “Each name belonged to a child who was loved beyond measure. A child whose laughter once filled a kitchen.

“Whose shoes once waited by a front door. Whose future once felt limitless. Now their faces ask the world questions we can no longer avoid.”

She added: “For too long, we have accepted a dangerous bargain: that modern connection must come at the cost of the innocence of childhood.

“That innovation excuses injury. That speed matters more than safety.”

Meghan said new technologies, such as AI, are “not just repeating past mistakes”, but “accelerating and amplifying” them, adding danger now travels globally.

She said: “We are seeing new forms of harm emerge faster than our systems are prepared to respond, affecting children at alarming scale and across borders.

“But these outcomes are not inevitable, and prevention begins with one simple principle: children must be safe by design, not safe by chance.

“Because danger now travels globally – instantly, invisibly, intimately. And our protections must do the same.”

She called on attendees to “speak up” and “demand better from the platforms shaping our children’s lives”.

Listening to the duchess’s speech was online safety campaigner Amy Neville, whose 14-year-old son Alexander is among the children featured in the memorial’s exhibition.

Meghan said the voice of Neville, and the voices of “so many” others, “remind us what is at stake”.

She added that, during an “increasingly polarized time,” adults must “all universally agree on one thing: we want our children to be safe.”

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have both advocated for stronger protections for children online.

In April last year, the couple unveiled a memorial in New York City to young people who lost their lives due to the harmful effects of social media and met families who believe social media played a part in the deaths of their youngsters.

Some five months later, Harry warned the impact of social media on children is “one of the most pressing issues of our time”, as he spoke at a gala in New York.

At the same event, Meghan said she and her husband often discussed how they would protect their own children, seven-year-old Archie and Lili, four, as they grow older.

Sunday’s memorial, hosted by the WHO and Archewell Philanthropies, the charitable foundation of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, took place ahead of the 79th World Health Assembly.

It was also run in partnership with The Parents’ Network, a community of bereaved families advocating for safer online spaces for children and young people.

Related Posts

World

Austin shootings: Greg Abbott speaks out as 3rd suspect arrested after 12 shootings, ‘These kids are serial criminals…’

May 20, 2026
World

Cuba weighing attacks on US soil, Caribbean assets with drones from Russia, Iran – report

May 20, 2026
World

$10,000 in buried treasure sparks huge hunt in San Francisco

May 20, 2026
World

A Loss of Innocence … A Flight to Freedom

May 20, 2026
World

Grand Rapids weather, power outage update: Severe Thunderstorm Watch issued for Kent County; is tornado possible?

May 20, 2026
World

Shippers Hapag-Lloyd, CMA CGM suspend Cuba bookings after US executive order

May 20, 2026
No Result
View All Result
National

Anxiety as Tinubu Names Running Mate This Week

by News Break
May 20, 2026
0

Anxiety as Tinubu Names Running Mate This Week – ReportNow A report indicates that President...

Read more

Austin shootings: Greg Abbott speaks out as 3rd suspect arrested after 12 shootings, ‘These kids are serial criminals…’

May 20, 2026

Ikeja LG Boss Participates & Coordinates House Of Reps APC Primaries In Ikeja

May 20, 2026

Wizkid sets record as first African artiste to reach 11 billion Spotify streams

May 20, 2026

BREAKING: APC clears Yahaya Bello for Kogi Central Senate race

May 20, 2026

Dangote Activates Olokola Deep Seaport Plan, Describes As Nigeria’s Next Export Gateway

May 20, 2026

Lagos govt bans transportation of goods on public buses

May 20, 2026

Expert praises Trump’s US Security Strategy for Africa

May 20, 2026

Cuba weighing attacks on US soil, Caribbean assets with drones from Russia, Iran – report

May 20, 2026

$10,000 in buried treasure sparks huge hunt in San Francisco

May 20, 2026
  • Home
  • About
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
© 2025 GossipsNG. All rights reserved.
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Society
  • Latest
  • World