The Federal Government has dismissed claims that Nigeria has the third-highest number of students studying abroad, insisting that improvements in the country’s education sector under President Bola Ahmed Tinubu are beginning to reduce the trend.………
The Minister of Education, Tunji Alausa, speaking on Channels TV on Tuesday stated that Nigerian universities are witnessing gradual improvements due to ongoing reforms introduced by the Tinubu administration.
The presenter had cited 2023 data indicating that Nigeria ranked third globally for outbound student mobility, accounting for about five per cent of worldwide student movement, behind only China and India.
Alausa rejected the figures as stale and unrepresentative of current conditions.
“That’s not Japa. And please, qualify your data. Thank God you told me it was 2023 figure,” he said.
The minister said that year coincided with a period of severe disruption in Nigeria’s education system, marked by prolonged academic shutdowns and underinvestment in tertiary institutions.
He said conditions had since changed materially.
“2023 was when we came in. There was no academic continuity. They had the kind of extensive investment you’ve made in a tertiary education that wasn’t there,” he said.
Alausa said his ministry’s educational support services department had been tracking outbound student movement and had recorded a steep decline in the numbers leaving to study abroad.
“We’ve seen precipitous drop in those number of student going out. Our tertiary institutions are better now. We have academic continuity, academic session continuity,” he said.















