GossipsNG.com
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Society
  • Latest
  • World
No Result
View All Result
Monday, May 18, 2026
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Society
  • Latest
  • World
No Result
View All Result
GossipsNG.com
No Result
View All Result

Planes with hantavirus cruise passengers land in the Netherlands; hospital quarantines 12

by News Break
May 13, 2026
in World
0
152
SHARES
1.9k
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Whatsapp

Two planes with 28 passengers from the MV Hondius cruise ship, which was hit by a hantavirus outbreak, landed in the Netherlands on Tuesday and a Dutch hospital treating a hantavirus patient quarantined 12 staffers in a preventative measure.

The planes ⁠landed at Eindhoven Airport shortly ⁠after midnight, carrying eight Dutch nationals. Other passengers of different nationalities will continue on to their home countries from the Netherlands, authorities previously said.

The Dutch hospital staff members were placed into preventive quarantine ⁠for six weeks after blood and urine were handled without updated and more strict protocols, the Radboudumc hospital in the city of Nijmegen said, adding that the infection risk is very low and patient care continues uninterrupted.

Radboudumc admitted a Hondius passenger infected with hantavirus on May 7.

“We will carefully investigate the course of events to learn from this so that it can be prevented in the future,” said Bertine Lahuis, the chair of the hospital’s executive board.

Meanwhile, the Hondius set sail for the Netherlands late on Monday ⁠evening ⁠with 25 crew as well as a doctor and a nurse. All passengers have disembarked the ship. It is expected to arrive in the Netherlands by May 17, ship owner Oceanwide Expeditions said.

Three people – a Dutch couple and a German national – have died since the start of the outbreak on the ship, which is usually spread by wild rodents but can also be transmitted person-to-person in rare cases of close contact.

The ⁠World Health Organization on Monday said there were now seven confirmed cases of the Andes strain of the hantavirus and two other suspected cases – one person who died before being tested, and one on Tristan da Cunha, a remote South Atlantic island where there were no tests available.

The confirmed cases include a French passenger, who tested positive after the ship docked in the Canary Islands ⁠on ‌Sunday. French Prime ‌Minister Sebastien Lecornu on Monday said the passenger was ⁠in stable condition after her health had ‌briefly worsened.

“Our compatriot who tested positive for Hantavirus is still in intensive care in a stable condition,” he said.

One of 14 ⁠Spaniards quarantining at a military hospital in Madrid has ⁠tested positive for the virus, the Spanish Health Ministry said in a ⁠statement on Monday evening, adding that the patient presented no symptoms and further tests were being done before a definitive result was announced.

Two planes with 28 passengers from the MV Hondius cruise ship, which was hit by a hantavirus outbreak, landed in the Netherlands on Tuesday and a Dutch hospital treating a hantavirus patient quarantined 12 staffers in a preventative measure.

The planes ⁠landed at Eindhoven Airport shortly ⁠after midnight, carrying eight Dutch nationals. Other passengers of different nationalities will continue on to their home countries from the Netherlands, authorities previously said.

The Dutch hospital staff members were placed into preventive quarantine ⁠for six weeks after blood and urine were handled without updated and more strict protocols, the Radboudumc hospital in the city of Nijmegen said, adding that the infection risk is very low and patient care continues uninterrupted.

Radboudumc admitted a Hondius passenger infected with hantavirus on May 7.

“We will carefully investigate the course of events to learn from this so that it can be prevented in the future,” said Bertine Lahuis, the chair of the hospital’s executive board.

Meanwhile, the Hondius set sail for the Netherlands late on Monday ⁠evening ⁠with 25 crew as well as a doctor and a nurse. All passengers have disembarked the ship. It is expected to arrive in the Netherlands by May 17, ship owner Oceanwide Expeditions said.

Three people – a Dutch couple and a German national – have died since the start of the outbreak on the ship, which is usually spread by wild rodents but can also be transmitted person-to-person in rare cases of close contact.

The ⁠World Health Organization on Monday said there were now seven confirmed cases of the Andes strain of the hantavirus and two other suspected cases – one person who died before being tested, and one on Tristan da Cunha, a remote South Atlantic island where there were no tests available.

The confirmed cases include a French passenger, who tested positive after the ship docked in the Canary Islands ⁠on ‌Sunday. French Prime ‌Minister Sebastien Lecornu on Monday said the passenger was ⁠in stable condition after her health had ‌briefly worsened.

“Our compatriot who tested positive for Hantavirus is still in intensive care in a stable condition,” he said.

One of 14 ⁠Spaniards quarantining at a military hospital in Madrid has ⁠tested positive for the virus, the Spanish Health Ministry said in a ⁠statement on Monday evening, adding that the patient presented no symptoms and further tests were being done before a definitive result was announced.

Related Posts

World

Lauren Boebert responds to Trump's Truth Social post as POTUS withdraws endorsement over Massie campaign; ‘knew risks’

May 18, 2026
World

Tens of thousands march in London in separate immigration, pro‑Palestinian protests

May 18, 2026
World

Woman gives birth inside NYC courtroom while handcuffed to bench after 24 hours in custody, legal aid groups say

May 18, 2026
World

US-Iran War: Coercion Can’t Calm Hormuz. Innovation Might

May 18, 2026
World

Israel claims it killed commander of Hamas military wing

May 18, 2026
World

Nancy Guthrie update: Shocking ‘somewhere around her home’ claim sparks reactions

May 18, 2026
No Result
View All Result
Headlines

Sowore Alleges Assault on Lawyer by Court Security Personnel at Federal High Court

by News Break
May 18, 2026
0

Human rights activist and former presidential candidate, Omoyele Sowore, has alleged that security personnel at the Federal High Court physically...

Read more

Terrorists Strike Yobe Training School, 17 Police Trainees Killed

May 18, 2026

Nollywood Isn’t As Rich As You Think — Actress Shine Rosman Opens Up on Actors’ Financial Struggles

May 18, 2026

Is Anyone Looking at Your Bank Account?

May 18, 2026

Audre Lorde Age, Biography Update, Personal Life, Honours, Legacy, Last Years

May 18, 2026

Chinese Navy Tests Advanced New Missile Defence System For Fast Expanding Destroyer Fleet

May 18, 2026

WHO declares Ebola public health emergency of international concern

May 18, 2026

Shocking: I received a call from reliable security source alleging that there are plots to Kill El-Rufai—Frank

May 18, 2026

Police recover stolen 10-day-old baby in Zamfara, nab suspect

May 18, 2026

S&P upgrades Nigeria’s credit rating to ‘B’, cites economic reforms

May 18, 2026
  • Home
  • About
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
© 2025 GossipsNG. All rights reserved.
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Society
  • Latest
  • World