GossipsNG.com
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Society
  • Latest
  • World
No Result
View All Result
Wednesday, May 20, 2026
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Society
  • Latest
  • World
No Result
View All Result
GossipsNG.com
No Result
View All Result

Police dismiss bandit attack rumour in Oyo communities

by News Break
May 20, 2026
in News
0
152
SHARES
1.9k
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Whatsapp

The Oyo State Police Command says normalcy has been restored in Ogbomoso and adjoining communities following a false alarm alleging the presence of suspected bandits in the area.

This was contained in a statement issued on Tuesday by the command’s spokesperson, DSP Ayanlade Olayinka.

According to the Command, “Earlier today, Monday 19th May, 2026, panic spread across parts of Ogbomoso and neighbouring communities, including Ajaawa Town, following rumours alleging that armed bandits had attacked the area and invaded the vicinity of Are-Ago High School, Ogbomoso.”

Olayinka said, “Considering the fear and apprehension generated by the report, the Command immediately deployed surveillance and patrol teams to the scene to ascertain the true situation and prevent any breakdown of law and order.

“Upon arrival at the location, operatives met with the school principal, Mrs. Akanbi Ruth, who explained that the alarm originated from information allegedly circulated among some students who claimed that certain unfamiliar individuals had been sighted behind the school fence.

“This naturally raised suspicion among some teachers and students, prompting immediate concern within the school environment.”

The PPRO said preliminary investigations, however, revealed that the individuals involved were an officer of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) attached to the Kwara State Command, Ilorin, and two civilians found in a Toyota Venza SUV.

He said the individuals explained that they had visited a female acquaintance in celebration of her birthday.

He added that relevant NSCDC authorities in Ogbomoso were contacted to verify the identity and status of the officer.

“It was further observed that during the interaction, an altercation reportedly occurred between some teachers and the visitors, which inadvertently heightened suspicion within the school premises.

“Consequently, some students began spreading unverified claims to neighbouring schools and surrounding communities, thereby escalating panic and tension across parts of Ogbomoso and Ajaawa Town before the actual facts of the incident were established,” the statement stated.

Olayinka, however, said that there was no bandit attack, invasion, or any security breach in the affected areas.

“The area remains peaceful, while normal academic, commercial, and social activities have since resumed,” he said.

NGGOSSIPS Online reports that the development follows Friday’s bandits’ attack on three schools in Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State, where about 30 students and teachers were kidnapped, while two persons were killed.

The attack, which occurred on May 16, saw armed bandits storm the community and abduct staff, students, and pupils from three schools; Community Grammar School, Baptist Nursery and Primary School, and L.A. Primary School.

A viral video on Monday showed one of the teachers held hostage being beheaded by the abductors, sparking outrage and renewed rescue vows from state and federal governments.

The command warned against the spread of fake news and unverified security reports, noting that such actions could cause panic and disrupt public peace.

It added that individuals found deliberately spreading false information would be investigated and prosecuted.

The Commissioner of Police, Oyo State Command, CP Abimbola Olugbemiga, urged residents to remain calm, vigilant, and law-abiding, while cooperating with security agencies.

Related Posts

News

‘Nobody should be judge between Benjamin Kalu, myself’ – Orji Uzor Kalu

May 20, 2026
News

“Fresh Energy For Final Lap” — Fintiri Reshuffles Cabinet, Redeploys Commissioners Across Agriculture, Livestock, Health, Information Ministries

May 20, 2026
News

Relegated Burnley to earn more than La Liga winners Barcelona

May 20, 2026
News

Cadbury Hot Chocolate celebrates the magic of African storytelling at the 2026 AMVCA

May 20, 2026
News

US will only be satisfied if Iran agrees to no nuclear weapons – Trump

May 20, 2026
News

Kebbi Hisbah arrests man hiding in bag at married woman’s house

May 20, 2026
No Result
View All Result
World

Iranian gov't paid Romanian men to carry out stabbing attack on UK-based journalist, court told

by News Break
May 20, 2026
0

A team of Romanian men, acting as proxies for the Iranian government, carried out a knife attack on a journalist...

Read more

Deadly hantavirus outbreak triggers rodent hunt in Argentina

May 20, 2026

OpenAI CEO Sam Altman sorry he didn’t report Canada shooting suspect

May 20, 2026

Iran war shows US economic coercion isn’t what it was

May 20, 2026

Edo Troops Arrest 12 Suspected Kidnappers In Major Forest Raids

May 20, 2026

JUST-IN: “More Than Half of APC Members Angry With Conduct of Primaries” — North Forum

May 20, 2026

Paul Onuachu: Super Eagles star nears historic feat with Trabzonspor

May 20, 2026

“I Considered Choking My Daughter With a Pillow” — 10 Nigerian Women Share Their Postpartum Depression Experiences 

May 20, 2026

“God took him away” – Singer Niniola breaks down as she loses husband of 13 years

May 20, 2026

Ex-President Jonathan: Nigeria Desperately Needs New Direction Amid Rising Insecurity

May 20, 2026
  • Home
  • About
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
© 2025 GossipsNG. All rights reserved.
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Society
  • Latest
  • World