GossipsNG.com
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Society
  • Latest
  • World
No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, May 19, 2026
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Society
  • Latest
  • World
No Result
View All Result
GossipsNG.com
No Result
View All Result

Trump’s redistricting push sees mixed results in South Carolina and Missouri

by News Break
May 13, 2026
in World
0
152
SHARES
1.9k
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Whatsapp

Sign up for the daily Inside Washington email for exclusive US coverage and analysis sent to your inbox

Get our free Inside Washington email

Get our free Inside Washington email

Inside Washington

The national battle over congressional redistricting has intensified, rather than waned, a struggle now inflamed by a recent Supreme Court ruling that weakened the federal Voting Rights Act. This decision provides states with new grounds to potentially eliminate voting districts with large minority populations.

Against this backdrop, President Donald Trump’s push to redraw U.S. House districts yielded mixed results on Tuesday. While South Carolina senators defied his desires, Missouri’s top court upheld a new map, a decision that could help Republicans secure an additional seat in the November midterm elections.

The contentious landscape is further complicated by ongoing legal challenges. Republican lawmakers in Louisiana are grappling with how politically aggressive to be when redrawing House districts, following a U.S. Supreme Court decision that invalidated a majority-Black district as an illegal racial gerrymander.

The ripples of this Louisiana ruling are already being felt across the South. It has led to new U.S. House districts in Tennessee and extended to Alabama, where Governor Kay Ivey announced an August 11 special primary for four of the state’s seven congressional districts.

Missouri was the second Republican state, after Texas, to redraw its congressional districts at Trump’s urging last year
Missouri was the second Republican state, after Texas, to redraw its congressional districts at Trump’s urging last year (AP Photo/David A. Lieb)

That came after the U.S. Supreme Court on Monday overturned an order mandating use of a map with two largely Black districts. The state plans to switch to a map passed in 2023 that has only one majority-Black district, giving Republicans a chance to win an additional seat.

Republicans think they could gain as many as 14 seats from new House maps enacted so far in Texas, Missouri, North Carolina, Ohio, Florida and Tennessee. Democrats, meanwhile, think they could gain six seats from new maps in California and Utah. The Virginia Supreme Court last week struck down a redistricting effort that could have yielded four more winnable seats for Democrats.

Missouri court upholds split of Kansas City

Missouri was the second Republican state, after Texas, to redraw its congressional districts at Trump’s urging last year.

Tuesday’s two unanimous state Supreme Court decisions, delivered just hours after arguments, “are a complete victory for Missouri and for the people’s elected representatives,” Republican Attorney General Catherine Hanaway said in a statement.

Attorneys for voters challenging Missouri’s new map had focused on changes to a Kansas City-based district long represented by Democratic U.S. Rep. Emanuel Cleaver, who previously was the city’s first Black mayor.

The new map takes a compact urban district that covered 20 miles (32 kilometers) and two counties and stretches it 200 miles (322 kilometers) over 15 counties, distorting it “into a sprawling behemoth that cuts clear across the state to unite territories that share nothing in common,” said Abha Khanna, a partner in the Elias Law Group, a Democratic firm.

But the Supreme Court upheld a March decision by a lower court, which found the map as a whole satisfied the compactness requirement even though the Kansas City district may look less compact. No Missouri court has ever struck down a congressional map for not being compact, said attorney John Gore, who defended the districts on behalf of the Republican Party.

A second case heard by the high court centered on whether the new map took effect in December, as asserted by Hanaway and Republican Secretary of State Denny Hoskins, or whether it should have been suspended when referendum signatures were submitted.

To suspend the map before validating the signatures would let activists temporarily undercut laws by submitting boxes of fraudulent signatures, Missouri Solicitor General Lou Capozzi argued.

But to not immediately suspend the map “would dilute the referendum right, if not destroy it altogether,” said attorney Jonathan Hawley, arguing for voters who sued.

The Supreme Court agreed with Republican officials, who contend that the new districts can be suspended only after Hoskins determines the petition meets constitutional requirements and has enough valid signatures. Hoskins has until Aug. 4, the day of Missouri’s primary elections, to make that determination.

South Carolina senator sees risk in redistricting

Trump urged South Carolina to redraw its congressional districts ahead of the November elections in an attempt to help Republicans win another seat. The state House voted in favor of letting lawmakers return after the regular session ends to consider redistricting, and proposed a new map that could eliminate the state’s only Democratic-held seat.

But the Senate had to give permission to take up redistricting, too. The 29-17 vote failed, coming just two votes short of the two-thirds needed, as five Republicans joined all Democrats in opposition. The Senate could try again before its regular work session ends Thursday

Trump had said on social media that he was closely watching the redistricting vote, urging South Carolina senators to “be bold and courageous” and to delay the June 9 House primaries so new districts can be drawn.

Although Republicans have a supermajority in the chamber, some GOP senators weren’t sure the proposed map would guarantee the party could unseat longtime Democratic U.S. Rep. Jim Clyburn. They also said it could push enough Democrats into other districts to backfire, resulting in a 5-2 or even a 4-3 Republican split.

Republican Senate Majority Leader Shane Massey acknowledged the pressure from Trump, but said he doesn’t like being asked to bend to someone’s will instead of doing what’s best for his state.

“I got too much Southern in my blood,” Massey said. “I’ve got too much resistance in my heritage.”

Louisiana hearing leads to death threats

Louisiana state Sen. Jay Morris, a Republican who drafted redistricting bills that would eliminate one or both of the state’s majority Black districts, told lawmakers Monday that he received death threats after Friday’s contentious hearing in which he told members of the public to “shut up.”

Morris acknowledged the outburst but denied the Louisiana Democratic Party’s assertion — blasted across social media and in a press release — that he also used the derogatory term “boy” toward its executive director, Dadrius Lanus, who is Black.

State Sen. Gary Carter, one of three Black Democrats serving alongside six white Republicans on the Senate committee overseeing redistricting, told The Associated Press on Tuesday that he had withdrawn from the committee “to help restore the decorum and focus that this moment demands” after shouting at Republicans during last Friday’s hearing. Carter publicly apologized on Monday to Morris and his Senate colleagues for having “lost my temper” and for any remarks that were taken as “personal attacks.”

Carter is the nephew of U.S. Rep. Troy Carter, a Democrat who represents New Orleans and is at risk of losing his seat in the redistricting process. Gary Carter is being replaced on the committee with state Sen. Royce Duplessis, a Democrat representing New Orleans.

Related Posts

World

US Secretary of State approves $25.8 billion in weapons sales to Middle East allies – report

May 19, 2026
World

Fired immigration judge sues Trump’s DOJ over discriminatory push to replace women and minorities with white men

May 19, 2026
World

Pak Deploys JF-17s, Thousands Of Troops In Saudi During Iran War: Report

May 19, 2026
World

Latvia’s president asks opposition leader to form new government

May 19, 2026
World

UFO files: What woman told FBI about ‘alien in earthly form’ in 1967

May 18, 2026
World

Spainish PM Pedro Sánchez defends Spain’s Eurovision boycott over Israel’s participation

May 18, 2026
No Result
View All Result
Reports

Terrorists behead abducted Oyo teacher

by News Break
May 19, 2026
0

One of the teachers abducted during the attack on schools in Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State has been...

Read more

US Secretary of State approves $25.8 billion in weapons sales to Middle East allies – report

May 19, 2026

Fired immigration judge sues Trump’s DOJ over discriminatory push to replace women and minorities with white men

May 19, 2026

Pak Deploys JF-17s, Thousands Of Troops In Saudi During Iran War: Report

May 19, 2026

Latvia’s president asks opposition leader to form new government

May 19, 2026

Udi/Ezeagu: Obidient Group Raises Alarm Over Alleged APC ‘Moles’ in Enugu NDC

May 19, 2026

Mercy Johnson’s Husband Secures APC Ticket for Re-Election Bid in Edo Federal Constituency

May 19, 2026

Abducted Oyo School Principal, teacher beg FG, Makinde to Secure Release in Viral Videos

May 19, 2026

Sunken Ships: A Surprise Gift Ended My Relationship

May 19, 2026

Davido spotted picking his daughter, Imade, from school with his Rolls-Royce Cullinan (Video)

May 19, 2026
  • Home
  • About
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
© 2025 GossipsNG. All rights reserved.
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Society
  • Latest
  • World