GossipsNG.com
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Society
  • Latest
  • World
No Result
View All Result
Monday, May 18, 2026
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Society
  • Latest
  • World
No Result
View All Result
GossipsNG.com
No Result
View All Result

US Appeals Court Pauses Ruling Against President Donald Trump 10% Global Tariffs

by News Break
May 13, 2026
in World
0
152
SHARES
1.9k
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Whatsapp

A US federal appeals court on Tuesday temporarily paused a ruling declaring President Donald Trump’s global 10-percent tariffs illegal, granting a government request to suspend the decision pending appeal.

Trump imposed the temporary 10-percent duty in February, shortly after the Supreme Court struck down many of his global tariffs.

On May 7, the US Court of International Trade (CIT) blocked the tariffs from being implemented against two companies and the state of Washington. That decision was to take effect on Tuesday. 

The US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit on Tuesday issued a brief order that included an administrative stay on the CIT’s order, setting a schedule for both sides to file briefs on the matter.

In its motion for a stay, the Trump administration argued that the CIT’s decision should be stayed pending the full run of government appeals — up to the Supreme Court, if necessary.

It argued that if it issued refunds on the 10-percent global tariff, only to have an appeals court uphold its position, it would be unable to pursue economic redress.

“Plaintiffs, conversely, can be made whole through refunds, including interest, if the tariffs are ultimately held unlawful and refundable,” the government said.

The court, however, only granted an administrative stay for the period while the court considers the motions for a stay pending appeal.

Signature policy upended 

The Trump administration has said the new tariff was meant to deal with balance-of-payments deficits, citing Section 122 of the Trade Act of 1974.

The 10-percent global tariff under Section 122 is valid until late July unless extended by Congress.

The Trump administration has also been pursuing other means to impose tariffs to replace those struck down by the Supreme Court.

US authorities have opened investigations into dozens of trading partners over forced labor and overcapacity allegations — which could lead to fresh tariffs or other action.

Trump’s sector-specific tariffs on goods like steel, aluminum and autos remain unaffected by these legal challenges.

The Supreme Court’s striking down of the majority of Trump’s tariffs was a blow to the Republican president, after he made the levies a signature economic policy.

Since the decision, businesses have rushed for refunds.

US Customs and Border Protection (CBP) estimated in March that more than 330,000 importers could be eligible for refunds after the Supreme Court’s decision.

The tariffs that were struck down earlier, imposed under the International Emergency Economic Powers Act (IEEPA), collected approximately $166 billion in duties and estimated deposits.

On Tuesday, CNBC reported that businesses had begun to receive refunds, in line with a CBP timeline released earlier this month.

CBP did not immediately respond to an AFP request for comment.

(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is published from a syndicated feed.)


Related Posts

World

Lauren Boebert responds to Trump's Truth Social post as POTUS withdraws endorsement over Massie campaign; ‘knew risks’

May 18, 2026
World

Tens of thousands march in London in separate immigration, pro‑Palestinian protests

May 18, 2026
World

Woman gives birth inside NYC courtroom while handcuffed to bench after 24 hours in custody, legal aid groups say

May 18, 2026
World

US-Iran War: Coercion Can’t Calm Hormuz. Innovation Might

May 18, 2026
World

Israel claims it killed commander of Hamas military wing

May 18, 2026
World

Nancy Guthrie update: Shocking ‘somewhere around her home’ claim sparks reactions

May 18, 2026
No Result
View All Result
Headlines

Sowore Alleges Assault on Lawyer by Court Security Personnel at Federal High Court

by News Break
May 18, 2026
0

Human rights activist and former presidential candidate, Omoyele Sowore, has alleged that security personnel at the Federal High Court physically...

Read more

Terrorists Strike Yobe Training School, 17 Police Trainees Killed

May 18, 2026

Nollywood Isn’t As Rich As You Think — Actress Shine Rosman Opens Up on Actors’ Financial Struggles

May 18, 2026

Is Anyone Looking at Your Bank Account?

May 18, 2026

Audre Lorde Age, Biography Update, Personal Life, Honours, Legacy, Last Years

May 18, 2026

Chinese Navy Tests Advanced New Missile Defence System For Fast Expanding Destroyer Fleet

May 18, 2026

WHO declares Ebola public health emergency of international concern

May 18, 2026

Shocking: I received a call from reliable security source alleging that there are plots to Kill El-Rufai—Frank

May 18, 2026

Police recover stolen 10-day-old baby in Zamfara, nab suspect

May 18, 2026

S&P upgrades Nigeria’s credit rating to ‘B’, cites economic reforms

May 18, 2026
  • Home
  • About
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
© 2025 GossipsNG. All rights reserved.
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Society
  • Latest
  • World