GossipsNG.com
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Society
  • Latest
  • World
No Result
View All Result
Monday, May 18, 2026
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Society
  • Latest
  • World
No Result
View All Result
GossipsNG.com
No Result
View All Result

WHO chief says work not over after hantavirus evacuation

by News Break
May 13, 2026
in World
0
152
SHARES
1.9k
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Whatsapp

World Health Organization chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said on Tuesday “our work is not over” to contain hantavirus after evacuations from a cruise ship hit by a deadly outbreak of the illness.

The fate of the MV Hondius has sparked international alarm after three passengers died in an outbreak of the rare virus, for which no vaccines or specific treatments exist.

Yet health officials have stressed that the global public health risk is low and rejected comparisons to the start of the Covid-19 pandemic.

“There is no sign that we are seeing the start of a larger outbreak,” Tedros told a joint news conference in Madrid with Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez.

“But of course the situation could change, and given the long incubation period of the virus, it’s possible we might see more cases in the coming weeks,” Tedros said.

More than 120 passengers and crew on the MV Hondius were flown out from Spain’s Canary Islands on Sunday and Monday, and countries have adopted different health measures for their returning evacuees.

Most countries have followed the WHO’s guidelines, which include a 42-day quarantine and constant monitoring of high-risk contacts.

But in the United States, Jay Bhattacharya, acting director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), said American passengers would not necessarily be quarantined.

“I hope they (countries) will follow the advice and recommendations we are making,” Tedros said in Madrid.

The MV Hondius presented diplomatic challenges as different countries negotiated over who would receive it and treat its passengers.

Cape Verde refused to receive the ship, which remained anchored offshore the capital Praia as three people were evacuated to Europe by air last week.

Spain allowed the vessel to anchor off the Canary Islands for the evacuation of passengers and crew on Sunday and Monday, but the Atlantic archipelago’s regional government fiercely opposed the measure.

Defending his government’s policy, Sanchez said the “world does not need more selfishness or more fear. What it needs are countries that show solidarity and want to step forward.”

World Health Organization chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said on Tuesday “our work is not over” to contain hantavirus after evacuations from a cruise ship hit by a deadly outbreak of the illness.

The fate of the MV Hondius has sparked international alarm after three passengers died in an outbreak of the rare virus, for which no vaccines or specific treatments exist.

Yet health officials have stressed that the global public health risk is low and rejected comparisons to the start of the Covid-19 pandemic.

“There is no sign that we are seeing the start of a larger outbreak,” Tedros told a joint news conference in Madrid with Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez.

“But of course the situation could change, and given the long incubation period of the virus, it’s possible we might see more cases in the coming weeks,” Tedros said.

More than 120 passengers and crew on the MV Hondius were flown out from Spain’s Canary Islands on Sunday and Monday, and countries have adopted different health measures for their returning evacuees.

Most countries have followed the WHO’s guidelines, which include a 42-day quarantine and constant monitoring of high-risk contacts.

But in the United States, Jay Bhattacharya, acting director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), said American passengers would not necessarily be quarantined.

“I hope they (countries) will follow the advice and recommendations we are making,” Tedros said in Madrid.

The MV Hondius presented diplomatic challenges as different countries negotiated over who would receive it and treat its passengers.

Cape Verde refused to receive the ship, which remained anchored offshore the capital Praia as three people were evacuated to Europe by air last week.

Spain allowed the vessel to anchor off the Canary Islands for the evacuation of passengers and crew on Sunday and Monday, but the Atlantic archipelago’s regional government fiercely opposed the measure.

Defending his government’s policy, Sanchez said the “world does not need more selfishness or more fear. What it needs are countries that show solidarity and want to step forward.”

Related Posts

World

Spainish PM Pedro Sánchez defends Spain’s Eurovision boycott over Israel’s participation

May 18, 2026
World

Stray bullet from Air Force machine gun exercise struck landscaper, lawsuit says

May 18, 2026
World

Global Health Alert: WHO Assembly Begins Amid Hantavirus And Ebola Outbreaks

May 18, 2026
World

Vatican sets up AI commission amid concerns over rapid technological change

May 18, 2026
World

Dogs accidentally eating owners’ weed sparks sharp rise in ER vet visits

May 18, 2026
World

Land convoy sets out from Libya as part of Gaza flotilla effort

May 18, 2026
No Result
View All Result
Latest

Obi’s Exit Rattled Our National Chairman, I Have Not Seen Him Since I Came Back To Nigeria -Nwosu

by Vincent Uju
May 18, 2026
0

Chief Ralph Nwosu, the founding chairman of the African Democratic Congress (ADC), has disclosed that the departure of Peter Obi...

Read more

Osun: Accord fumes over ‘second attack’ on Adeleke campaign office

May 18, 2026

BREAKING: Tinubu’s administration has destroyed democracy – Galadima

May 18, 2026

Africa Soft Power Summit: The Room Where Africa’s Growth Story Gets Rewritten

May 18, 2026

Gunshots, chaos disrupt Ondo APC senatorial primary election

May 18, 2026

Spainish PM Pedro Sánchez defends Spain’s Eurovision boycott over Israel’s participation

May 18, 2026

Stray bullet from Air Force machine gun exercise struck landscaper, lawsuit says

May 18, 2026

Global Health Alert: WHO Assembly Begins Amid Hantavirus And Ebola Outbreaks

May 18, 2026

Vatican sets up AI commission amid concerns over rapid technological change

May 18, 2026

Schools Must Never Become Theatres of Fear — Gbenga Hashim Reacts to Fresh Abductions

May 18, 2026
  • Home
  • About
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
© 2025 GossipsNG. All rights reserved.
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Society
  • Latest
  • World