Transport fares for matches at the 2026 FIFA World Cup in New Jersey have been reduced following strong backlash from supporters over what many described as excessive pricing.
According to BBC Sport on Wednesday, train and shuttle bus fares to MetLife Stadium, which will be known as New York/New Jersey Stadium during the tournament, were initially set far above regular transport costs.
Rail ticket prices have now been reduced from $198 to $98, while shuttle bus fares were cut from $50 to $20 after widespread criticism from fans.
The stadium is scheduled to host eight World Cup matches, including one of England’s group-stage games and a semi-final fixture.
Thomas Concannon, the England supporters’ representative for the Football Supporters’ Association, had earlier criticised the original prices.
He described the fares as “astronomical” and said they were “completely out of the norm” compared with standard transport costs.
A regular return train journey from Penn Station in Manhattan to the stadium usually costs around $12.90.
Mikie Sherrill said the fare reductions were made possible through commercial sponsorship rather than taxpayer funding.
Sherrill said: “Good news: Ahead of NJ Transit World Cup train tickets going on sale, NJ Transit is lowering ticket prices to $98 without New Jersey taxpayer money.
“Thank you to our partners for helping make this possible.”
Kathy Hochul also welcomed the reductions and said tournament access should remain affordable for supporters.
She announced a 75 per cent reduction in round-trip bus fares and disclosed that part of the ticket allocation would be reserved for New York residents.
Despite the adjustments in New Jersey, concerns remain over transport costs in other host cities, especially for supporters travelling to Foxborough in Boston where fares are reportedly still significantly above normal rates.
Fans from England and Scotland are expected to be among those affected as both nations prepare for fixtures across several venues in the United States during the tournament.
The transport controversy comes as scrutiny continues over logistics, affordability and fan experience ahead of the expanded 2026 World Cup across North America.















