GossipsNG.com
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Society
  • Latest
  • World
No Result
View All Result
Monday, May 18, 2026
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Society
  • Latest
  • World
No Result
View All Result
GossipsNG.com
No Result
View All Result

Alleged Coup Plot: Suspects gave confessional statements voluntarily, says witness

by News Break
May 13, 2026
in News
0
152
SHARES
1.9k
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Whatsapp

In his testimony in the trial-within-trial, the witness told the court that the defendants were calm, unagitated and fully aware of their constitutional rights before making their statements.

A prosecution told the Federal High Court in Abuja on Tuesday that six men facing charges over last year’s failed coup against President Bola Tinubu voluntarily gave confessiomal statements to interrogators during investigations.

Judge Joyce Abdulmalik of the Federal High Court in Abuja paused the main trial on Monday to pave the way for the trial-within-trial, after the six defendants challenged the voluntariness of their statements as the prosecution sought to tender them as exhibits.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the defence lawyers argued that their clients made the statements during the interview sessions under duress.

PREMIUM TIMES reported that, on 22 April, the federal government arraigned a retired army general, Mohammed Ibrahim Gana, and five others.

The five co-defendants include Erasmus Ochegobia Victor, a retired navy captain; Ahmed Ibrahim, a police inspector; and Zekeri Umoru, an electrician at the Presidential Villa.

The rest are Bukar Kashim Goni and Abdulkadir Sani, a Zaria-based Islamic cleric.

They were accused of being part of a conspiracy to topple the President Bola Tinubu-led government. Information about the alleged secret plot was leaked to the authorities last September, leading to the arrest of serving and retired military officers alongside their alleged civilian conspirators.

Some serving military officers are undergoing trial before the military’s General Court Martial over the alleged failed coup. Information about the coup plot was said to have been leaked to the authorities last September, prompting the arrest of about 40 suspects, among whom were serving and retired military officers as well as their alleged civilian conspirators.

The six men charged before the Federal High Court in Abuja face 13 counts of treason, terrorism, failure to disclose information, and money laundering over the alleged failed coup.

Since the trial began, the prosecution has called four witnesses.

The fourth, an army officer identified by the codename AAA for security reasons, has yet to be discharged. The prosecution witness brought video recordings of the defendants’ interrogations to court as exhibits.

At the commencement of proceedings, the trial judge cautioned parties to restrict themselves to issues relating to voluntariness of the statements and avoid delving into substantive matters already pending in the main trial.

The federal government’s lawyer, Rotimi Oyedepo, a Senior Advocate of Nigeria (SAN), who is also the Director, Public Prosecution for the Federation, informed the court that he had three witnesses lined up for the trial-within-trial.

The lawyer then called the first among them, an officer of the Nigerian Army Corps of Military Police.

The witness identified by codename AAA over security concerns testified as the fourth prosecution witness in the main trialm

In his testimony in the trial-within-trial, the witness told the court that the defendants were calm, unagitated and fully aware of their constitutional rights before making their statements.

He maintained that the investigation process complied with standard operating procedures and best investigative practices as stipulated by the Administration of Criminal Justice Act (ACJA), 2015.

Mr Oyedepo, thereafter, tendered the statements of the six defendants obtained by the Special Investigative Panel (SIP) and the Military Police.

Ms Abdulmalik admitted the first to the fifth defendant’s statements as Exhibits A to E, while that of the sixth defendant was admitted as Exhibit F.

The prosecution also tendered a black external hard drive and a flash drive said to contain video recordings of the defendants’ extra-judicial statements, alongside certificates of identification.

Defence lawyers did not raise objections to their admissibility during the trial-within-trial and the court admitted the devices as Exhibits G, G1, H and H1.

Testifying, the witness insisted that no defendant was denied access to legal representation and that all the suspects were informed of their rights, including the right to remain silent and the right to engage counsel of their choice.

Speaking specifically on the first defendant, Mohammed Ibrahim Gana, a retired major-general, the witness described him as a highly respected senior military officer who remained calm throughout the interrogation process.

According to him, the defendant was placed in a properly ventilated room, cautioned about his rights and informed that any statement made could later be tendered in court as his own side of the story.

The witness further told the court that the video recordings showed no sign of coercion, intimidation or inducement and argued that the similarity between the oral and written statements reinforced the claim that they were voluntarily made.

On allegations that the written statements did not correspond exactly with the recorded interviews, the witness explained that written accounts could not be word-for-word reproductions of oral interviews because “human beings are not computers.”

He also maintained that the military investigation team employed modern investigative techniques and had no reason to force suspects into making statements.

The witness, who testified under protection, gave similar testimony regarding the second defendant, identified as Erasmus Ochegobia Victor, a retired captain of the Nigerian Navy.

He stated that the senior military officer voluntarily elected to reduce his oral statement into writing after speaking in the recorded interview.

Related Posts

News

French judge to probe journalist Jamal Khashoggi’s killing

May 18, 2026
News

Police probe attack on officers in Abia

May 18, 2026
News

“One-Year Filming Ban” — Kano Censorship Board Suspends Amina Uba Hassan, Adam Garba Over Alleged Immoral Video

May 18, 2026
News

Saudi Arabia declares first day of Dhul Hijjah 1447 AH

May 18, 2026
News

EXCLUSIVE: Boko Haram convict bagged degree during life sentence for church bombing – Court document

May 18, 2026
News

Youths protest, set Gwarzo LG building ablaze over rising insecurity 

May 18, 2026
No Result
View All Result
Headlines

Court Grants Bail to Detained Nigerian Activist, Justice Crack

by News Break
May 18, 2026
0

Justice Joyce Abdulmalik of Federal High Court, Abuja on Monday, May 18, granted bail in the sum of N5 million...

Read more

Tinubu Confirms Major US-Nigeria Strike as ISIS Top Commander Is Killed in Lake Chad Operation

May 18, 2026

APC Primaries: 12 House of Reps Members Lose Return Tickets, including Majority Leader

May 18, 2026

Mystique by Beguile Review: We’ve Been Shopping Wrong

May 18, 2026

APC clears Yahaya Bello, others for senatorial ticket

May 18, 2026

US Encourages UAE to Grab Key Iranian Gulf Lavan Island Amid Escalating War

May 18, 2026

French judge to probe journalist Jamal Khashoggi’s killing

May 18, 2026

Hamas Looking to Exploit Islamic Pilgrimage to Mecca in Order to Smuggle Funds to Gaza – Report

May 18, 2026

Police probe attack on officers in Abia

May 18, 2026

An Air Marshal goes AWOL

May 18, 2026
  • Home
  • About
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
© 2025 GossipsNG. All rights reserved.
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Society
  • Latest
  • World