GossipsNG.com
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Society
  • Latest
  • World
No Result
View All Result
Thursday, May 21, 2026
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Society
  • Latest
  • World
No Result
View All Result
GossipsNG.com
No Result
View All Result

Couple jailed for locking their young children up for over three years in ‘house of horrors’ in case that shocked Spain

by News Break
May 14, 2026
in World
0
152
SHARES
1.9k
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Whatsapp

On The Ground newsletter: Get a weekly dispatch from our international correspondents

Get a weekly dispatch from our international correspondents

Get a weekly international news dispatch

On The Ground

A couple who kept their three young children locked inside a squalid house for nearly four years have been jailed in a case that has shaken Spain.

Authorities last April rescued three boys – twins, then aged eight, and their 10-year-old brother – from the “house of horrors” in the northern city of Oviedo, where they had been forced to remain since the Covid-19 pandemic.

The children were found with marked motor difficulties, wearing diapers and sleeping in cribs in a filthy house full of rubbish and stockpiled medication.

Their parents, who are understood to have developed a fear of the outside world during the pandemic, were each sentenced on Monday to two years and 10 months in prison.

The couple were both found guilty of family abandonment and causing psychological harm, but were cleared of more stringent charges of unlawful detention. Prosecutors had sought 25-year prison sentences.

Police said the house was in a horrifying state when they found the children in April last year
Police said the house was in a horrifying state when they found the children in April last year (AFP via Getty)

Police officers who rescued the children said that on entering the house they found bag upon bag of rubbish piled up at the bottom of the stairs.

“They had no television, no electronic devices for the children, hardly any games, not even shoes in their size; the shoes the children had were the size they wore four years ago, when they arrived,” sources close to the investigation told El Pais.

Officers were said to be shocked by how the children reacted to going outside.

“They were touching the grass, breathing as if they had never done so before in their lives. They saw a snail and were completely fascinated.”

The prosecution said the children had not been outside in four years, not even into their own garden, and did not know their relatives.

They said the prolonged use of diapers had left the children with poor bowel and bladder control. The children walked with hunched backs and struggled to go up and down the stairs, according to La Sexta.

The defence argued during the trial that the parents had made “a series of decisions, certainly wrong, incorrect, but not criminal”.

Police arrested the couple in April 2025 after finding the children, following a tip-off from a neighbour.

The father has been identified as a 53-year-old German citizen, while the mother, 48, is a dual citizen of Germany and the United States. They had been renting the chalet, in a rural area of Oviedo, since October 2021.

The parents were ordered to pay compensation of €30,000 (£26,000) to each child and were stripped of custody of the children for at least three years and four months following Monday’s verdict.

The children have been placed in the care of social services, according to local media. The ruling has not been made public as judges believe it contains sensitive information affecting the victims’ privacy.

Javier Munoz, the lawyer for the mother, said the children were homeschooled, had “a stable family life” and were well fed.

Mr Munoz said the couple, who have been held in preventive custody since their arrest, were “moderately satisfied” with the sentence, but were still considering appealing the ruling.

Related Posts

World

Cuban president warns US aggression would create a 'bloodbath'

May 21, 2026
World

Trump targets Raul Castro with charges for deadly 1996 plane attack

May 21, 2026
World

Supreme Court wary of barring police from phone searches to find crime suspects

May 21, 2026
World

Brouhaha over Iran war costs to US taxpayers

May 21, 2026
World

Who were Mansour Kaziha, Nader Awad? All on San Diego Islamic Center shooting victims as Amin Abdullah's actions praised

May 20, 2026
World

Iranian gov't paid Romanian men to carry out stabbing attack on UK-based journalist, court told

May 20, 2026
No Result
View All Result
News

Industrial Court rejects UBA Dispute Resolution Clause

by News Break
May 21, 2026
0

Hon. Justice Sanda Yelwa of the Lagos Judicial Division of the National Industrial Court has declared the constructive dismissal and...

Read more

 ADC screens Atiku, Hayatu-Deen for 2027 presidential ticket 

May 21, 2026

Cuban president warns US aggression would create a 'bloodbath'

May 21, 2026

Trump targets Raul Castro with charges for deadly 1996 plane attack

May 21, 2026

Supreme Court wary of barring police from phone searches to find crime suspects

May 21, 2026

Brouhaha over Iran war costs to US taxpayers

May 21, 2026

Ekiti APC Assembly Primary: Fayose’s Son Defeats Ex-Deputy Speaker In His Ward, Others

May 21, 2026

“I Didn’t Have Access to My Family or Pain Relief” — 10 Nigerian Women Share Their First Childbirth Experience

May 21, 2026

“Why is it okay for married men to cheat but married women can’t?” – Etinosa Idemudia asks

May 21, 2026

BREAKING: ADC Postpones Presidential, Governorship Screening Ahead of 2027

May 21, 2026
  • Home
  • About
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
© 2025 GossipsNG. All rights reserved.
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Society
  • Latest
  • World