GossipsNG.com
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Society
  • Latest
  • World
No Result
View All Result
Monday, May 18, 2026
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Society
  • Latest
  • World
No Result
View All Result
GossipsNG.com
No Result
View All Result

Court rejects Bauchi accountant-general, Jaja’s request to travel for Hajj

by News Break
May 13, 2026
in Reports
0
152
SHARES
1.9k
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Whatsapp

The federal high court in Abuja on Tuesday rejected an application filed by the accountant-general of Bauchi State, Sirajo Muhammad Jaja, and other defendants in an ongoing N1.6 billion fraud trial.

Mr Jaja had asked the court for permission to travel to Saudi Arabia to perform Hajj and undergo a medical check-up.

Justice Obiora Egwuatu struck out the application after hearing arguments from the defence counsel, Chris Uche (SAN), and the prosecution counsel, Abba Muhammed (SAN), who opposed the request.

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) disclosed details of the proceedings in a statement issued on Tuesday by its spokesperson, Dele Oyewale.

According to the statement, Mr Uche informed the court that the second defendant was seeking temporary release of his passport to enable him travel abroad for two weeks.

“The second defendant wants to travel outside for two weeks. It is a temporary application for the release of his passport,” Mr Uche said.

He added that although the defence had received the prosecution’s counter-affidavit, it had yet to file a formal response.

However, the prosecution opposed the request, arguing that the defendant posed a flight risk, especially since some individuals linked to the case were still at large.

Mr Muhammed told the court that the EFCC had filed a 10-paragraph affidavit on March 13 outlining reasons why the application should be denied.

“We rely on all the depositions and annexures. We provided cogent reasons, the facts are there. We rely on them and urge the court to reject the application,” Mr Muhammed said.

In his ruling, Justice Egwuatu struck out the application and adjourned the case until June 30 for continuation of trial.
Earlier during Tuesday’s proceedings, the first prosecution witness, Abimbola Williams, a compliance officer with the United Bank for Africa (UBA), was cross-examined.

Mr Jaja is standing trial alongside Aliyu Abubakar, an alleged bureau de change operator said to be trading under the name Jasfad Resources Enterprise, over accusations involving money laundering, theft, and diversion of Bauchi State Government funds.

Three other suspects identified as officials of the Bauchi State Government — Abubakar Muhammed Hafiz, Ari Manga, and Muhammed Aminu Bose — are reportedly still at large.

The defendants were initially arraigned by the EFCC in April 2025 on nine counts relating to money laundering and diversion of N8.38 billion.

The charges were later amended, leading to their re-arraignment in June last year on five counts. The amended charges reduced both the number of counts and the alleged amount involved to about N1.6 billion.

According to the EFCC, the defendants allegedly transferred funds from the Bauchi State Sub-Treasury account domiciled in UBA into the account of Jasfad Resources Enterprise between October and December 2024 under the guise of legitimate transactions.

The anti-graft agency further alleged that additional funds were laundered between January and March 2025 using the same method.

The EFCC said the alleged offences contravened provisions of the Money Laundering (Prevention and Prohibition) Act, 2022.

Related Posts

Reports

Is Anyone Looking at Your Bank Account?

May 18, 2026
Reports

Chinese Navy Tests Advanced New Missile Defence System For Fast Expanding Destroyer Fleet

May 18, 2026
Reports

Atiku slams FG’s response to anti-immigrant tensions in South Africa

May 18, 2026
Reports

Hantavirus: Primate Ayodele Reveals Warning

May 18, 2026
Reports

Mystique by Beguile Review: We’ve Been Shopping Wrong

May 18, 2026
Reports

US Encourages UAE to Grab Key Iranian Gulf Lavan Island Amid Escalating War

May 18, 2026
No Result
View All Result
Headlines

Sowore Alleges Assault on Lawyer by Court Security Personnel at Federal High Court

by News Break
May 18, 2026
0

Human rights activist and former presidential candidate, Omoyele Sowore, has alleged that security personnel at the Federal High Court physically...

Read more

Terrorists Strike Yobe Training School, 17 Police Trainees Killed

May 18, 2026

Nollywood Isn’t As Rich As You Think — Actress Shine Rosman Opens Up on Actors’ Financial Struggles

May 18, 2026

Is Anyone Looking at Your Bank Account?

May 18, 2026

Audre Lorde Age, Biography Update, Personal Life, Honours, Legacy, Last Years

May 18, 2026

Chinese Navy Tests Advanced New Missile Defence System For Fast Expanding Destroyer Fleet

May 18, 2026

WHO declares Ebola public health emergency of international concern

May 18, 2026

Shocking: I received a call from reliable security source alleging that there are plots to Kill El-Rufai—Frank

May 18, 2026

Police recover stolen 10-day-old baby in Zamfara, nab suspect

May 18, 2026

S&P upgrades Nigeria’s credit rating to ‘B’, cites economic reforms

May 18, 2026
  • Home
  • About
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
© 2025 GossipsNG. All rights reserved.
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Society
  • Latest
  • World