GossipsNG.com
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Society
  • Latest
  • World
No Result
View All Result
Wednesday, May 20, 2026
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Society
  • Latest
  • World
No Result
View All Result
GossipsNG.com
No Result
View All Result

Flooding submerges collapsed Kwara bridge, traps commuters

by News Break
May 19, 2026
in News
0
152
SHARES
1.9k
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Whatsapp

Commuters travelling along the Ilorin–Igbeti Federal Highway in Kwara State were left stranded on Monday after heavy flooding overtook the collapsed Moro Bridge, submerging vehicles and disrupting movement across the busy interstate route.

The NGGOSSIPS gathered that the incident followed an overnight downpour that caused the Moro River to overflow its banks, leaving several vehicles trapped in floodwaters, while desperate passengers reportedly climbed onto car roofs awaiting rescue.

The affected bridge, located between Oko-Olowo/Mandala in Ilorin West and Asa local government areas, had earlier collapsed on April 30 after a heavy-duty articulated truck reportedly passed over the aging structure.

Scene of the over-flooded Moro bridge in Asa LGA of Kwara State. Credit: FB/Shafi Bolaji

The collapse had already cut off a major transport link connecting Kwara State to neighbouring Oyo State and onward routes towards the Benin Republic border.

Monday’s flooding further worsened the situation, as the temporary diversion promised by the state government after the bridge collapse was yet to be completed.

Video footage obtained by The NGGOSSIPS from the scene showed vehicles partially submerged in the overflowing river, while stranded commuters struggled to navigate the flooded passage.

Residents and motorists expressed frustration over the prolonged delay in completing emergency intervention works at the site, warning that the situation could become more dangerous as the rainy season intensifies.

A trader identified simply as Kafayat lamented the impact of the incident on economic activities in the area.

“This development has negatively affected economic activities, causing delays and increasing the cost of transportation for commuters and businesses,” she said.

Some residents also questioned why an alternative bridge project located beside the collapsed structure had remained abandoned for several years.

The worsening condition has heightened fears among communities around the Moro River axis, especially with peak rainfall months still ahead.

Residents warned that more severe flooding could occur in July and August if urgent measures are not taken to restore safe passage across the river.

Following the initial collapse of the bridge in April, the Kwara State Government had announced traffic diversion measures and promised immediate intervention to ease the hardship faced by commuters.

Scene of the over-flooded Moro bridge in Asa LGA of Kwara State. Credit: FB/Shafi Bolaji

The Commissioner for Works, Engr. Abdulquawiy Olododo, had said the government was working with federal authorities to address the situation.

“The Kwara State Government is working with federal authorities to immediately divert traffic following the collapse of the Moro Bridge overnight,” the commissioner had stated.

“The collapse occurred in the early hours after a heavy-duty truck passed over the bridge, resulting in a major disruption along the route,” he added.

Olododo also disclosed that engineers had been mobilised to begin palliative work on alternative routes to reduce traffic congestion and hardship for road users.

He further assured residents that construction was ongoing on a new Moro Bridge located a few metres away from the collapsed structure.

Despite the assurances, Monday’s flooding has now intensified public concern over the safety of commuters and the pace of response at the site.

The Moro Bridge, a colonial-era Bailey bridge, has for decades served as a critical crossing point linking parts of Kwara and Oyo states, although the structure has repeatedly undergone rehabilitation due to persistent structural defects.

Commuters travelling along the Ilorin–Igbeti Federal Highway in Kwara State were left stranded on Monday after heavy flooding overtook the collapsed Moro Bridge, submerging vehicles and disrupting movement across the busy interstate route.

The NGGOSSIPS gathered that the incident followed an overnight downpour that caused the Moro River to overflow its banks, leaving several vehicles trapped in floodwaters, while desperate passengers reportedly climbed onto car roofs awaiting rescue.

The affected bridge, located between Oko-Olowo/Mandala in Ilorin West and Asa local government areas, had earlier collapsed on April 30 after a heavy-duty articulated truck reportedly passed over the aging structure.

Scene of the over-flooded Moro bridge in Asa LGA of Kwara State. Credit: FB/Shafi Bolaji

The collapse had already cut off a major transport link connecting Kwara State to neighbouring Oyo State and onward routes towards the Benin Republic border.

Monday’s flooding further worsened the situation, as the temporary diversion promised by the state government after the bridge collapse was yet to be completed.

Video footage obtained by The NGGOSSIPS from the scene showed vehicles partially submerged in the overflowing river, while stranded commuters struggled to navigate the flooded passage.

Residents and motorists expressed frustration over the prolonged delay in completing emergency intervention works at the site, warning that the situation could become more dangerous as the rainy season intensifies.

A trader identified simply as Kafayat lamented the impact of the incident on economic activities in the area.

“This development has negatively affected economic activities, causing delays and increasing the cost of transportation for commuters and businesses,” she said.

Some residents also questioned why an alternative bridge project located beside the collapsed structure had remained abandoned for several years.

The worsening condition has heightened fears among communities around the Moro River axis, especially with peak rainfall months still ahead.

Residents warned that more severe flooding could occur in July and August if urgent measures are not taken to restore safe passage across the river.

Following the initial collapse of the bridge in April, the Kwara State Government had announced traffic diversion measures and promised immediate intervention to ease the hardship faced by commuters.

Scene of the over-flooded Moro bridge in Asa LGA of Kwara State. Credit: FB/Shafi Bolaji

The Commissioner for Works, Engr. Abdulquawiy Olododo, had said the government was working with federal authorities to address the situation.

“The Kwara State Government is working with federal authorities to immediately divert traffic following the collapse of the Moro Bridge overnight,” the commissioner had stated.

“The collapse occurred in the early hours after a heavy-duty truck passed over the bridge, resulting in a major disruption along the route,” he added.

Olododo also disclosed that engineers had been mobilised to begin palliative work on alternative routes to reduce traffic congestion and hardship for road users.

He further assured residents that construction was ongoing on a new Moro Bridge located a few metres away from the collapsed structure.

Despite the assurances, Monday’s flooding has now intensified public concern over the safety of commuters and the pace of response at the site.

The Moro Bridge, a colonial-era Bailey bridge, has for decades served as a critical crossing point linking parts of Kwara and Oyo states, although the structure has repeatedly undergone rehabilitation due to persistent structural defects.

Related Posts

News

APC group protests, demand release of Okitipupa/Irele federal constituency primary election results

May 20, 2026
News

Justiciability Of Party Actions That Amount To Constitutional Transgression

May 19, 2026
News

Kannywood celebrities suspended over ‘immoral’ video

May 19, 2026
News

Ondo govt closes schools for APC assembly primaries after Monday’s violence

May 19, 2026
News

APC vows to reclaim Jigawa South-West Senate seat from PDP

May 19, 2026
News

Hoodlums rape Lagos sexagenarian to death

May 19, 2026
No Result
View All Result
Reports

Borno gov assures families of safe return of 48 abducted schoolchildren 

by News Break
May 20, 2026
0

Babagana Zulum, the governor of Borno state has assured residents of Mussa community in Askira/Uba LGA that efforts are underway...

Read more

UNIPORT, UNIBEN Win South-South Engineering Olympiad, Advance to National Boot Camp

May 20, 2026

Shippers Hapag-Lloyd, CMA CGM suspend Cuba bookings after US executive order

May 20, 2026

Trump ‘concerned’ about Ebola after American tests positive for deadly virus

May 20, 2026

Asia’s oil shock nightmare has only just begun

May 20, 2026

White House correspondents’ dinner becomes the news as reporters take cover

May 20, 2026

Its false- Oyo police denies reports of fresh terrorist attack in Ogbomosho

May 20, 2026

FIFA World Cup: From Uruguay 1930 to mega 2026 tournament

May 20, 2026

Uzoamaka Power Made Call of My Life for Everyone Who Has Ever Loved Too Much

May 20, 2026

“Since them born this baby, he never rest” – Singer Portable shows off his newborn son in cute video

May 20, 2026
  • Home
  • About
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
© 2025 GossipsNG. All rights reserved.
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Society
  • Latest
  • World