GossipsNG.com
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Society
  • Latest
  • World
No Result
View All Result
Monday, May 18, 2026
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Society
  • Latest
  • World
No Result
View All Result
GossipsNG.com
No Result
View All Result

More Hantavirus cases may emerge in coming weeks — WHO

by News Break
May 13, 2026
in News
0
152
SHARES
1.9k
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Whatsapp

World Health Organisation, WHO, Director-General Tedros Ghebreyesus says additional cases of Hantavirus may emerge in coming weeks, following the evacuation of passengers from the outbreak-hit cruise ship — MV Hondius.

Tedros said at a joint news conference on Tuesday with Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez held at the Moncloa Palace in Madrid that “global public health risk remains low.

“Given the long incubation period of the virus, it is possible that we may see more cases in the coming weeks.’’

According to Tedros, 11 Hantavirus-related cases have so far been reported, including three deaths, while nine of the 11 cases have been confirmed as Andes virus infections, as the remaining two are considered probable cases.

“Our assessment continues to be that the global public health risk remains low,” he said, adding that there is currently “no sign” of a larger outbreak.

Tedros said WHO recommends that all evacuated passengers undergo active health monitoring for 42 days from their last exposure date, either in designated quarantine facilities or at home, with the monitoring period lasting until June 21.

“Anyone who becomes symptomatic should be isolated and treated immediately,” he added.

Tedros also thanked the Spanish government for agreeing to receive the ship and lead the evacuation effort, praising Spain for fulfilling “its legal duties under international law” while also demonstrating “solidarity, compassion and kindness” throughout the operation.

The Spanish government agreed on May 5 to receive the MV Hondius after a hantavirus outbreak was reported aboard the vessel.

This came following requests from the World Health Organisation (WHO), the European Union and more than 20 governments seeking assistance in evacuating and repatriating those on board.

The vessel arrived off the Spanish island of Tenerife on May 10 and docked at the Port of Granadilla a day later.

During the two-day operation, passengers and some crew members disembarked from the vessel and were transferred under strict protective and sanitary measures before being flown out of Spain.

Sanchez described the evacuation operation as a “success,” saying Spain had coordinated 10 special flights to evacuate more than 120 people of different nationalities who had disembarked from the vessel between May 10 and May 11.

He added that the operation had been conducted under four guiding principles: scientific rigor, absolute transparency of information, institutional coordination, and international cooperation.

Spanish health authorities said all evacuated people from the MV Hondius had left Tenerife by May 11, while the vessel departed for Rotterdam with 28 crew members remaining on board.

The European Commission said it is coordinating closely with Spain, EU member states and other countries participating in the EU Civil Protection Mechanism.

The EU said it’s also working with the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC), WHO and other partners to coordinate passenger disembarkation, return transfers and follow-up health monitoring.
Xinhua/NAN

Related Posts

News

WHO declares Ebola public health emergency of international concern

May 18, 2026
News

Police recover stolen 10-day-old baby in Zamfara, nab suspect

May 18, 2026
News

Two APC senatorial aspirants withdraw from Kebbi primaries

May 18, 2026
News

Frank Alleges DSS Plot To Arrest El-Rufai, Detain Him Beyond 2027

May 18, 2026
News

French judge to probe journalist Jamal Khashoggi’s killing

May 18, 2026
News

Police probe attack on officers in Abia

May 18, 2026
No Result
View All Result
Headlines

Sowore Alleges Assault on Lawyer by Court Security Personnel at Federal High Court

by News Break
May 18, 2026
0

Human rights activist and former presidential candidate, Omoyele Sowore, has alleged that security personnel at the Federal High Court physically...

Read more

Terrorists Strike Yobe Training School, 17 Police Trainees Killed

May 18, 2026

Nollywood Isn’t As Rich As You Think — Actress Shine Rosman Opens Up on Actors’ Financial Struggles

May 18, 2026

Is Anyone Looking at Your Bank Account?

May 18, 2026

Audre Lorde Age, Biography Update, Personal Life, Honours, Legacy, Last Years

May 18, 2026

Chinese Navy Tests Advanced New Missile Defence System For Fast Expanding Destroyer Fleet

May 18, 2026

WHO declares Ebola public health emergency of international concern

May 18, 2026

Shocking: I received a call from reliable security source alleging that there are plots to Kill El-Rufai—Frank

May 18, 2026

Police recover stolen 10-day-old baby in Zamfara, nab suspect

May 18, 2026

S&P upgrades Nigeria’s credit rating to ‘B’, cites economic reforms

May 18, 2026
  • Home
  • About
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
© 2025 GossipsNG. All rights reserved.
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Society
  • Latest
  • World