GossipsNG.com
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Society
  • Latest
  • World
No Result
View All Result
Wednesday, May 20, 2026
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Society
  • Latest
  • World
No Result
View All Result
GossipsNG.com
No Result
View All Result

Remains of second US soldier who went missing during training exercise recovered in Morocco

by News Break
May 14, 2026
in World
0
152
SHARES
1.9k
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Whatsapp

The latest headlines from our reporters across the US sent straight to your inbox each weekday

Your briefing on the latest headlines from across the US

Your briefing on the latest headlines from across the US

Evening Headlines

The remains of the second U.S. Army soldier who went missing during military exercises in Morocco have been recovered, the Army said Wednesday.

The soldier was identified as Spc. Mariyah Symone Collington of Taveres, Fla., the U.S. military Europe and Africa said. She was 19 years old.

“Royal Moroccan Armed Forces transported the Soldier’s remains by a Moroccan helicopter to the morgue of Moulay El Hassan Military Hospital in Guelmim, Morocco,” the statement said, bringing a multinational search operation that deployed air, naval and artificial intelligence assets to an end.

Collington served as an air and missile defense crew member and was assigned to Charlie Battery, 5th Battalion, 4th Air Defense Artillery Regiment, 10th Army Air and Missile Defense Command.

Collington entered the Regular Army’s Delayed Entry Program in 2023 before beginning active-duty service in 2024. She completed Basic Combat Training and Advanced Individual Training at Fort Sill, Oklahoma, as a 14P air and missile defense crewmember. She reported to Charlie Battery, 5th Battalion, 4th Air Defense Artillery Regiment, in Ansbach, Germany, in February 2025 and was promoted to specialist on May 1, 2026.

Spc. Mariyah Symone Collington, 19, of Taveres, Florida
Spc. Mariyah Symone Collington, 19, of Taveres, Florida (U.S. Army Europe and Africa)

Her awards and decorations include the Army Service Ribbon.

The announcement came days after the military said the remains of another soldier, 1st Lt. Kendrick Lamont Key Jr., a 14A Air Defense Artillery officer, had been recovered. The two soldiers fell off a cliff during an off-duty recreational hike in Morocco. Their remains are en route to the United States.

A spokesperson for U.S. Army Southern European Task Force, Africa told The Associated Press that the circumstances surrounding the incident remain under investigation.

Two soldiers fell off a cliff during an off-duty recreational hike in Morocco
Two soldiers fell off a cliff during an off-duty recreational hike in Morocco (AP)

The two soldiers were reported missing May 2 after participating in African Lion, an annual multinational military exercise held in Morocco. Their disappearance triggered a search operation involving more than 1,000 U.S. and Moroccan military and civilian personnel, the SETAF-AF spokesperson added.

Assets deployed during the operation included a U.S. Navy P-8 Poseidon maritime patrol aircraft, unmanned aerial systems, thermal and ISR sensors, an unmanned underwater vehicle, side-scan sonar, a Moroccan multibeam echosounder and U.S. Coast Guard drift modeling capabilities, according to the spokesperson.

African Lion 26, is a U.S.-led exercise launched in April across four countries – Morocco, Tunisia, Ghana and Senegal – with more than 7,000 personnel from over 30 nations. Since 2004, it has been the largest U.S. joint military exercise in Africa.

In 2012, two U.S. Marines were killed and two others injured during a helicopter crash in Morocco’s southern city of Agadir while taking part in the exercises

Related Posts

World

Austin shooting update: Search ongoing in Manor after police nab two active shooters— 5 key points

May 19, 2026
World

Ukraine launches biggest drone attack on Moscow in over a year

May 19, 2026
World

Terrifying video shows Six Flags patrons walking down rollercoaster drop after power outage

May 19, 2026
World

Amid Surgery, Prosthetic Claims, Iran Says Mojtaba Khamenei Has ‘Scratch Behind Ear’

May 19, 2026
World

Nuclear weapons ‘cornerstone’ of Russia’s national security: Kremlin

May 19, 2026
World

Trump issues dire warning to Iran to accept peace deal

May 19, 2026
No Result
View All Result
Headlines

FIFA World Cup: From Uruguay 1930 to mega 2026 tournament

by Vincent Uju
May 20, 2026
0

With just a few weeks before the FIFA World Cup 2026 kicks off, soccer fans around the globe are getting...

Read more

Uzoamaka Power Made Call of My Life for Everyone Who Has Ever Loved Too Much

May 20, 2026

“Since them born this baby, he never rest” – Singer Portable shows off his newborn son in cute video

May 20, 2026

Kwara Governor Endorses Amb. Abdulfatai Yahaya Seriki as Preferred Successor for APC Gubernatorial Ticket

May 20, 2026

APC group protests, demand release of Okitipupa/Irele federal constituency primary election results

May 20, 2026

In Respect For The Party And Its Leadership,I Chose Not To Proceed To The Field–Pascal Okechukwu

May 20, 2026

Flooding submerges collapsed Kwara bridge, traps commuters

May 19, 2026

AMTY Nominates Joy Ezeilo for Lifetime Achievement Award

May 19, 2026

FirstBank, Visa Expand Premium Card Portfolio with Visa Signature Launch

May 19, 2026

“Tinubu Is Our In-Law, We’ll Support Him With Full Chest Till 2031” – Mr Jollof

May 19, 2026
  • Home
  • About
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
© 2025 GossipsNG. All rights reserved.
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Society
  • Latest
  • World