GossipsNG.com
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Society
  • Latest
  • World
No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, May 19, 2026
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Society
  • Latest
  • World
No Result
View All Result
GossipsNG.com
No Result
View All Result

Trump planned to start work on giant arch by piggybacking it on another unrelated project over a mile away, report says

by News Break
May 15, 2026
in World
0
152
SHARES
1.9k
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Whatsapp

Sign up for the daily Inside Washington email for exclusive US coverage and analysis sent to your inbox

Get our free Inside Washington email

Get our free Inside Washington email

Inside Washington

The Trump administration is reportedly considering using an existing White House contract to start work on the president’s unrelated 250-foot “victory arch” project, even though the latter is more than a mile away across the Potomac River.

In an April 22 email obtained by The Washington Post, National Park Service acting director Jessica Bowron allegedly floated extending an existing contract with the firm AECOM Services for work on the White House grounds to cover environmental assessment on the arch plan.

“I realize it’s a little further afield than Lafayette Park,” she wrote of the park across from the White House, “but given the engagement on this project from the [White House], I thought I’d check,” Bowron allegedly wrote.

“Yes of course,” an individual in the Executive Office of the President reportedly replied.

Elsewhere in the correspondence, Bowron reportedly fretted that AECOM hadn’t sent its “A team” to work on the existing contracts it has for the White House grounds. The firm, the Post estimates, has some $695 million in deals for work on the White House ballroom, visitor screening center and Lafayette Park improvements.

The Trump administration reportedly considered using an unrelated federal contract to jumpstart work on the president’s planned ‘victory arch’
The Trump administration reportedly considered using an unrelated federal contract to jumpstart work on the president’s planned ‘victory arch’ (AFP/Getty)

It is unclear if the administration went through with the plan to combine the various contracts to fast-track the arch.

Survey work on the arch began on Monday, and workers and heavy machinery could be seen at the project site.

“That assertion on contract sourcing is incorrect,” the Department of the Interior, which oversees the National Park Service, told The Independent. “Any correspondence that has been leaked to the Washington Post was draft/deliberative conversations and is not the final determination.”

The Independent has contacted the White House and AECOM for comment.

Observers, meanwhile, said using an unrelated contract for work on the arch would mean avoiding the usual competitive bidding process for government deals.

“You lose the benefits of competition, pricing and transparency,” contracting expert Alan Chvotkin told the Post.

Protesters and a lawsuit have challenged the arch, which a government panel approved last month despite overwhelmingly negative public comments about the project
Protesters and a lawsuit have challenged the arch, which a government panel approved last month despite overwhelmingly negative public comments about the project (Getty)

The president has moved at breakneck speed to remake Washington in his image as part of the 250th anniversary celebrations of American independence, unilaterally demolishing the White House East Wing, renaming and remodeling the Kennedy Center and giving a no-bid contract to a little-known company to resurface the Lincoln Memorial Reflecting Pool.

Each of these efforts has triggered strong pushback and lawsuits.

A group of veterans is suing to block the arch project, arguing the planned monument blocks the “historically significant view” between Arlington National Cemetery and the Lincoln Memorial.

President Trump has raced to remodel and rename monuments across Washington since taking office, triggering multiple lawsuits
President Trump has raced to remodel and rename monuments across Washington since taking office, triggering multiple lawsuits (AFP/Getty)

“The President’s planned arch will be a continuous visual affront to this principle and a personal affront to people, like me, who have fought for this Nation and devoted their careers to serving it,” Michael Lemmon, the lead plaintiff in the case and a U.S. Army veteran who served in the Vietnam War, said in a statement in February.

Last month, the Commission of Fine Arts greenlit the arch, though the commission acknowledged public comments about the project were “100 percent” negative.

Related Posts

World

Who was Krystal Anderson? Body found in search for missing South Carolina mom 4 years after she was murdered by BF

May 19, 2026
World

At least eight injured after car ramming attack, attempted stabbing in Italian city of Modena

May 19, 2026
World

Two teenagers arrested for 10 ‘random’ shootings in Texas crime spree, police say

May 19, 2026
World

4 Dead, 8 Injured As Gunman Opens Fire In Southern Turkey: Report

May 19, 2026
World

Protests over asylum policy spread across Dutch cities

May 19, 2026
World

James Robinson cause of death: What happened to the LIFE Today host? Details on TV pastor's passing

May 19, 2026
No Result
View All Result
Headlines

Salah Blasts Liverpool after Villa Defeat Jeopardises Champions League Qualification

by Vincent Uju
May 19, 2026
0

Liverpool forward Mohamed Salah has issued a stinging verdict after his side’s 4-2 defeat to Aston Villa, which secured Champions...

Read more

The #NairaLife of a Startup Founder Who’s In Between Survival and Stability

May 19, 2026

“I Left School for My Brother”: Nigerians Share the Weight of Family Expectations

May 19, 2026

NRS makes tax ID mandatory for taxpayers

May 19, 2026

Troops Arrest Suspected Gunrunner Linked to Notorious Terror Kingpins in Katsina

May 19, 2026

Elon Musk loses lawsuit against OpenAI, Sam Altman

May 19, 2026

Lagos donates safety kits to taskforce officers

May 19, 2026

JUST IN: WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo and Uganda

May 19, 2026

Normalcy Returns to Ondo After Gunshots Disrupt APC Senate Primary

May 19, 2026

Fidelity Bank grows Gross Earnings by 45.6% for FY 2025

May 19, 2026
  • Home
  • About
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
© 2025 GossipsNG. All rights reserved.
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Society
  • Latest
  • World