GossipsNG.com
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Society
  • Latest
  • World
No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, May 19, 2026
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Society
  • Latest
  • World
No Result
View All Result
GossipsNG.com
No Result
View All Result

White House denies reports of visa issues for Iraq’s World Cup team

by News Break
May 14, 2026
in World
0
152
SHARES
1.9k
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Whatsapp

The White House refuted reports that the United States denied visas for five members of Iraq’s national team ahead of next month’s World Cup.

The State Department sent a statement on Wednesday to Front Office Sports in response to online reports involving five players, including Luton Town forward Ali Al-Hamadi.

“Currently, there are no known issues affecting the Iraq National Team players, and they remain on track to compete in the World Cup,” the statement reads. “We maintain daily communication with FIFA and will continue to prioritize these players in accordance with the President’s Executive Order, ensuring an incredible and safe tournament.”

The Iraq Football Association also quashed the rumors that had circulated on social media on Tuesday.

“The news is false, and the truth is that all the national team players have obtained entry visas to America,” it said, per the Iraqi news site The New Region, adding that the players are also in the process of getting Canadian visas.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA; A general view of the stadium during a media day ahead of the 2026 FIFA World Cup at Lincoln Financial Field. May 13, 2026. (credit: Kyle Ross-Imagn Images, REUTERS)

Iraq is in a tough Group I for this summer’s FIFA World Cup in North America, along with France, Senegal and Norway. Iraq is scheduled to play games in Foxborough, Mass. (June 16 vs. Norway), Philadelphia (June 22 vs. France) and in Toronto (June 26 vs. Senegal).

The Iranian team and FIFA

Rumors about the Iraqi team’s visa issues have surfaced amid the ongoing debate between the Iranian team and FIFA over Iran’s participation in the World Cup.

After protests against the Iranian team’s ties to Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) and calls for the team to be banned from competing, FIFA President Gianni Infantino confirmed earlier this month that Iran will play its originally scheduled World Cup matches this summer in the United States.

Infantino made the announcement during his opening remarks on Thursday at the FIFA Congress in Vancouver, BC, one day after members of Iran’s delegation to the congress were denied entry into Canada.

“Of course, Iran will be participating at the FIFA World Cup 2026, and of course, Iran will play in the United States of America,” Infantino said. “The reason for that is very simple, dear friends, is because we have to unite. We have to bring people together. It is my responsibility.”

Iranian soccer chief Mehdi Taj said on Wednesday he will meet with Infantino in the next three or four days, during which he will seek assurances that his country will be respected at the World Cup in the United States.

Canada, which is co-hosting the June 11 to July 19 World Cup with the US and Mexico, said it refused entry to Taj last week because of his links to the IRGC.

Taj said on Tuesday that Iran would not take part in the tournament if FIFA could not guarantee respect for the country’s institutions in the US, where the team will be based and play all three of their group matches.

“We will tell (FIFA) what our expectations are. If they can address them, we will definitely participate,” the FFIRI president told state broadcaster IRIB in Tehran on Wednesday.

Related Posts

World

Who was Krystal Anderson? Body found in search for missing South Carolina mom 4 years after she was murdered by BF

May 19, 2026
World

At least eight injured after car ramming attack, attempted stabbing in Italian city of Modena

May 19, 2026
World

Two teenagers arrested for 10 ‘random’ shootings in Texas crime spree, police say

May 19, 2026
World

4 Dead, 8 Injured As Gunman Opens Fire In Southern Turkey: Report

May 19, 2026
World

Protests over asylum policy spread across Dutch cities

May 19, 2026
World

James Robinson cause of death: What happened to the LIFE Today host? Details on TV pastor's passing

May 19, 2026
No Result
View All Result
Reports

The #NairaLife of a Startup Founder Who’s In Between Survival and Stability

by Vincent Uju
May 19, 2026
0

Every week, NGGOSSIPS seeks to understand how people move the Naira in and out of their lives. Some stories will be...

Read more

“I Left School for My Brother”: Nigerians Share the Weight of Family Expectations

May 19, 2026

NRS makes tax ID mandatory for taxpayers

May 19, 2026

Troops Arrest Suspected Gunrunner Linked to Notorious Terror Kingpins in Katsina

May 19, 2026

Elon Musk loses lawsuit against OpenAI, Sam Altman

May 19, 2026

Lagos donates safety kits to taskforce officers

May 19, 2026

JUST IN: WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo and Uganda

May 19, 2026

Normalcy Returns to Ondo After Gunshots Disrupt APC Senate Primary

May 19, 2026

Fidelity Bank grows Gross Earnings by 45.6% for FY 2025

May 19, 2026

“It Was A Mutual Decision”- Made Kuti Speaks On Not Kneeling For Proposal

May 19, 2026
  • Home
  • About
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
© 2025 GossipsNG. All rights reserved.
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Society
  • Latest
  • World