GossipsNG.com
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Society
  • Latest
  • World
No Result
View All Result
Friday, May 22, 2026
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Society
  • Latest
  • World
No Result
View All Result
GossipsNG.com
No Result
View All Result

20 construction workers escape death after Anambra building collapse

by News Break
May 22, 2026
in News
0
152
SHARES
1.9k
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Whatsapp

No fewer than 20 workers narrowly escaped death after a two-storey building under construction collapsed in Umuoji, Idemili North Local Government Area, Anambra State.

The incident caused panic among residents and passers-by.

It was gathered that the workers at the site narrowly escaped death on Monday evening when the structure began caving in after loud cracking sounds were heard from the walls.

When our correspondent visited the scene on Wednesday, it was observed that the building, reportedly intended to serve as a hotel, had tilted dangerously to different sides after partially collapsing.

A resident living near the building, who identified himself simply as Uzor, said over 20 workers were on the second floor of the structure when it suddenly began to cave in.

“Prior to the collapse, more than 20 workers were seen busy working at various sections of the building. But hours later, at about 5 p.m., the structure started caving in following loud cracks from the second floor, but luckily, among the workers, nobody was trapped as they jumped down one after another.

“The structure, still under construction, is designed to be a three-storey building and to be used for hotel business. It caved in such a way that both sides are now slanting in various directions from the top, and it’s posing a danger.

“The fortunate thing is that nobody was trapped in the structure. The speed at which the structure is being constructed and the heavy rainfall might have contributed to the collapse,” he said.

Another resident, simply identified as Amaka, blamed the collapse on what she described as hurried construction work and possible use of substandard materials.

“How can you be putting blocks on top of the ones that have not dried, and you know this is the rainy season? And most of these iron rods we have today are mostly inferior and are not meant for storey buildings like this.

“Some government officials visited the place on Tuesday and sealed the premises so that it will not cause further danger. Although the structure is still slanting and poses a danger. A thorough investigation should be conducted to ascertain the cause of the collapse,” she said.

Our correspondent observed that the premises had been sealed and cordoned off with barriers and tape after officials of the State Urban and Town Planning Department visited the site on Tuesday.

One of the officials at the scene, who spoke anonymously because he was not authorised to speak officially, said investigations had commenced to determine the cause of the collapse and whether proper approvals and building standards were followed.

“The premises were sealed off pending investigation. As you can see, it is now slanting in different directions and posing danger. Preliminary reports gathered indicated multiple damages.

“Authorities would move swiftly to establish how the structure failed and whether regulatory procedures were ignored or not, and also whether the building had approval.

“From the report we got, the building caved in while some construction workers were on the site. Fortunately, no life was lost. The Urban and Town Planning Department had already taken steps to seal off the property while further enforcement measures were underway,” the official said.

When contacted on Wednesday, the spokesperson for the Anambra State Police Command, SP Tochukwu Ikenga, confirmed the incident but said details were still sketchy.

“Yes, it’s true, but details are still sketchy. I’ll get back to you when I have the full information,” he said.

Building collapses have remained a recurring concern in several parts of Nigeria, often linked to structural defects, use of substandard materials, poor regulatory compliance, and weak supervision of construction projects.

In recent years, authorities and professional bodies have repeatedly called for stricter enforcement of building regulations to prevent avoidable disasters.

No fewer than 20 workers narrowly escaped death after a two-storey building under construction collapsed in Umuoji, Idemili North Local Government Area, Anambra State.

The incident caused panic among residents and passers-by.

It was gathered that the workers at the site narrowly escaped death on Monday evening when the structure began caving in after loud cracking sounds were heard from the walls.

When our correspondent visited the scene on Wednesday, it was observed that the building, reportedly intended to serve as a hotel, had tilted dangerously to different sides after partially collapsing.

A resident living near the building, who identified himself simply as Uzor, said over 20 workers were on the second floor of the structure when it suddenly began to cave in.

“Prior to the collapse, more than 20 workers were seen busy working at various sections of the building. But hours later, at about 5 p.m., the structure started caving in following loud cracks from the second floor, but luckily, among the workers, nobody was trapped as they jumped down one after another.

“The structure, still under construction, is designed to be a three-storey building and to be used for hotel business. It caved in such a way that both sides are now slanting in various directions from the top, and it’s posing a danger.

“The fortunate thing is that nobody was trapped in the structure. The speed at which the structure is being constructed and the heavy rainfall might have contributed to the collapse,” he said.

Another resident, simply identified as Amaka, blamed the collapse on what she described as hurried construction work and possible use of substandard materials.

“How can you be putting blocks on top of the ones that have not dried, and you know this is the rainy season? And most of these iron rods we have today are mostly inferior and are not meant for storey buildings like this.

“Some government officials visited the place on Tuesday and sealed the premises so that it will not cause further danger. Although the structure is still slanting and poses a danger. A thorough investigation should be conducted to ascertain the cause of the collapse,” she said.

Our correspondent observed that the premises had been sealed and cordoned off with barriers and tape after officials of the State Urban and Town Planning Department visited the site on Tuesday.

One of the officials at the scene, who spoke anonymously because he was not authorised to speak officially, said investigations had commenced to determine the cause of the collapse and whether proper approvals and building standards were followed.

“The premises were sealed off pending investigation. As you can see, it is now slanting in different directions and posing danger. Preliminary reports gathered indicated multiple damages.

“Authorities would move swiftly to establish how the structure failed and whether regulatory procedures were ignored or not, and also whether the building had approval.

“From the report we got, the building caved in while some construction workers were on the site. Fortunately, no life was lost. The Urban and Town Planning Department had already taken steps to seal off the property while further enforcement measures were underway,” the official said.

When contacted on Wednesday, the spokesperson for the Anambra State Police Command, SP Tochukwu Ikenga, confirmed the incident but said details were still sketchy.

“Yes, it’s true, but details are still sketchy. I’ll get back to you when I have the full information,” he said.

Building collapses have remained a recurring concern in several parts of Nigeria, often linked to structural defects, use of substandard materials, poor regulatory compliance, and weak supervision of construction projects.

In recent years, authorities and professional bodies have repeatedly called for stricter enforcement of building regulations to prevent avoidable disasters.

Related Posts

News

BREAKING: Wike’s ally, Chinda emerges APC governorship candidate in Rivers

May 22, 2026
News

“Airfares Hit ₦200,000 As Airlines Raise Base Fares” — FAAN Tightens Ebola Screening At Airports Amid Central Africa Outbreak Alert

May 22, 2026
News

Youngest EPL winner misses Arsenal training for school exams

May 22, 2026
News

Chinda Wins Rivers APC Governorship Primary With 268,497 Votes

May 22, 2026
News

Six OPay top executives risk jail over alleged disobedience to Court orders

May 22, 2026
News

Four feared dead after vehicle falls into Kano dam

May 22, 2026
No Result
View All Result
World

NATO not drawing up plans for Hormuz mission, top commander says

by News Break
May 22, 2026
0

NATO is not drawing up any plans for a potential mission in the Strait of Hormuz and would need a...

Read more

The key issues preventing the US and Iran from agreeing a peace deal

May 22, 2026

‘Earthquake’: Supreme Court limits Voting Rights Act in setback for Black Democrats, boost for GOP

May 22, 2026

Why South Africa has three capitals, not just one

May 22, 2026

Gov Nwifuru Reverses Suspension of Ebonyi Teachers Over Viral Classroom Video

May 22, 2026

BREAKING: Atiku Pays N90m Into ADC Account, Gives Reason

May 22, 2026

Meet Segun Aina: 7 Things To Know about 39‑year‑old Professor Appointed JAMB Registrar

May 22, 2026

AMVCA 2026: The Complete List of Winners

May 22, 2026

Chinda emerges APC’s Rivers governorship candidate

May 22, 2026

BREAKING: Wike’s ally, Chinda emerges APC governorship candidate in Rivers

May 22, 2026
  • Home
  • About
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
© 2025 GossipsNG. All rights reserved.
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Society
  • Latest
  • World