GossipsNG.com
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Society
  • Latest
  • World
No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, May 19, 2026
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Society
  • Latest
  • World
No Result
View All Result
GossipsNG.com
No Result
View All Result

Energy commission boss Mustapha resumes duties amid EFCC’s alleged N500bn fraud probe

by News Break
May 15, 2026
in News
0
152
SHARES
1.9k
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Whatsapp

The media office of Energy Commission of Nigeria (ECN) reportws that the director-general of the agency was arrested.

The Director-General of the Energy Commission of Nigeria (ECN), Abdullahi Mustapha, has resumed duty at the agency’s headquarters in Abuja following reports that he was arrested and detained by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) over an alleged N500 billion fraud and money laundering investigation.

“We have arrested the Director-General of the Energy Commission of Nigeria, Dr Mustapha Abdullahi, over alleged money laundering offences. He is currently in our custody, and investigations are ongoing,” a source told the Punch newspaper.

The source added that the alleged funds under investigation were estimated at about N500 billion.

However, a video posted by the ECN on X on Thursday showed Mr Mustapha back at his desk, effectively indicating his return to work.

PREMIUM TIMES observed that he arrived at the commission’s headquarters in Abuja in an ash-coloured sport utility vehicle, dressed in a white kaftan and cap, before briefly joining staff in prayers at the reception area.

In a statement shared shortly after his resumption, the ECN said Mr Mustapha was not arrested but only honoured an invitation from the EFCC.

“He honoured an invitation extended to him by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission in line with due process and his respect for constituted authorities,” the statement stated.

“It is important to clarify that he was not arrested, but attended the engagement voluntarily as a responsible public servant committed to transparency and accountability,” the statement said.

The commission urged the public to avoid speculation and allow relevant institutions to carry out their work, stressing that the matter remains at the investigation stage.

“In line with established principles of justice and fairness, every individual is entitled to the presumption of innocence until proven otherwise by a court of competent jurisdiction,” it added.

The EFCC spokesperson, Dele Oyewale, did not respond to requests for comment as of the time of filing this report Friday morning.

The Energy Commission of Nigeria also did not issue a separate statement beyond its reaction to the reports.

President Bola Tinubu appointed Mr Mustapha as ECN director-general in October 2023.

He previously worked with the Nigerian Upstream Petroleum Regulatory Commission (NUPRC) and served as a technical adviser at the Federal Ministry of Innovation, Science and Technology.

The ECN is responsible for coordinating national energy planning and promoting renewable and sustainable energy development policies in Nigeria.

The development comes amid renewed anti-corruption investigations involving senior officials in the country’s power and energy sector.

On Tuesday, the Federal High Court in Abuja sentenced former Minister of Power, Saleh Mamman, to 75 years’ imprisonment for corruption-related offences linked to the Mambilla Hydroelectric Power Project.

Related Posts

News

TUC expels 11 members, suspends 14 over alleged disobedience

May 19, 2026
News

Trump suspends planned Iran attack after appeal from Arab leaders

May 19, 2026
News

Ogun man stabbed to death during birthday party argument

May 19, 2026
News

“We Have Been Here Since Friday, We Need Help” — Abducted Oyo Principal Cries Out In Viral Video As Police Begin Forensic Examination

May 19, 2026
News

Oyo Schools Abduction: Two-year-old listed among victims + Full List

May 19, 2026
News

ADC screens over 70 governorship aspirants ahead of primaries

May 19, 2026
No Result
View All Result
National

JUST IN: APC Disqualifies Former Presidential Aspirant, 3 Senators from Primaries

by News Break
May 19, 2026
0

JUST IN: APC Disqualifies Former Presidential Aspirant, 3 Senators from Primaries – ReportNow The All...

Read more

Ex-Google CEO Eric Schmidt booed at University of Arizona over AI, sexual assault allegations by ex-girlfriend: Watch

May 19, 2026

I Don’t Think Obi Has Time To Watch Television, So Advisers Need To Guide Him On What To Say —Adeoye

May 19, 2026

Police trace Oyo school abduction suspects through phone calls with bandits

May 19, 2026

BREAKING: 2027: North divided over Obi’s one-term promise

May 19, 2026

TUC expels 11 members, suspends 14 over alleged disobedience

May 19, 2026

JAMB delays release of 2026 UTME result slips, gives reason

May 19, 2026

ICC denies ‘inaccurate’ report it is seeking new warrants against Israeli officials

May 19, 2026

Trump’s Iran warning sends oil prices soaring and global markets tumbling

May 19, 2026

Hantavirus Hunt: Argentine Scientists Set First Traps

May 19, 2026
  • Home
  • About
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
© 2025 GossipsNG. All rights reserved.
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Society
  • Latest
  • World