GossipsNG.com
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Society
  • Latest
  • World
No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, May 19, 2026
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Society
  • Latest
  • World
No Result
View All Result
GossipsNG.com
No Result
View All Result

Indigenous Australians win record £80m payout after billionaire mined their land without consent

by News Break
May 14, 2026
in World
0
152
SHARES
1.9k
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Whatsapp

Sign up to the Independent Climate email for the latest advice on saving the planet

Get our free Climate email

Get our free Climate email

Independent Climate

A federal court has ordered mining giant Fortescue to pay a record A$150m (£79.9m) to the Yindjibarndi people of western Australia after finding the company mined their land without the consent of its traditional owners, concluding a legal battle lasting nearly two decades.

Justice Stephen Burley ruled on Tuesday that Fortescue was liable for A$150m in cultural loss and A$100,000 (£53,000) in economic loss.

The ruling is the largest payout ever awarded under Australia’s native title laws – the legal framework that recognises the rights of Indigenous Australians over lands their ancestors have occupied for thousands of years – and is nearly three times the previous biggest court-mandated award of its kind.

Fortescue, the iron ore company founded by billionaire Andrew Forrest, began mining at its Solomon Hub in western Australia’s remote Pilbara region in 2013, with permission from the state government and a local Aboriginal representative group, but without the consent of the Yindjibarndi Ngurra Aboriginal Corporation, the body recognised by the courts as holding exclusive native title rights over the area.

The mine, located about 1,500km north of Perth, has generated an estimated A$80bn (£42.6bn) in revenue since operations began and is expected to continue until the mid-2040s. More than 135sqkm of land has been fenced off from entry, including by the Yindjibarndi people themselves.

“Mining operations continue 24 hours a day, seven days a week, generating tremendous revenue for both FMG and the state,” Mr Burley said in his judgment.

The sails of the Sydney Opera House are illuminated by a projection of indigenous artwork by Indigenous artist Brett Leavy
The sails of the Sydney Opera House are illuminated by a projection of indigenous artwork by Indigenous artist Brett Leavy (Getty)

Mr Burley described the Yindjibarndi people’s connection to their land as “deep and visceral”, finding it affected all aspects of their lives. He characterised the cultural loss award as covering “loss or diminution of traditional attachment to the land or connection to country and for loss of rights to gain spiritual sustenance from the land”.

The court heard that 240 heritage sites had been relocated and 140 cultural sites completely destroyed by mining operations.

Yindjibarndi witness Middleton Cheedy told the court: “The mine has taken everything – ngurra (home) is gone, the spirits are gone, the water is gone, the caves are gone, and our ancestors’ remains have been put through the crushers on the mine site.”

Despite the historic nature of the ruling, community members expressed deep disappointment at the figure. The Yindjibarndi Ngurra Aboriginal Corporation had sought A$1.8bn (£960mn), arguing it would represent one per cent of the production value of the mines while compensating for the destruction of around 250 cultural sites.

Fortescue had sought to cap the compensation at A$8m (£4.3m), while the western Australian government argued a figure of between A$5m and A$10m (£2.7m to £5.3m) would be appropriate.

Elder Wendy Hubert described the payout as “peanuts” compared with Fortescue’s earnings, according to the ABC.

“They dig our ground up for nothing, give us nothing in return,” Yindjibarndi woman Judith Coppin told reporters outside court. “They take tonnes and tonnes of things from our land and what do we get? Nothing.”

Michael Woodley, head of the Yindjibarndi Nation Aboriginal Corporation and chief applicant in the case, said the community’s fight was far from over.

“We don’t get this far and stop – we’re fighters, we’ve been fighting all our life,” he said. Dozens of community members travelled from the Pilbara to Perth to witness the ruling, with more than a thousand others watching a court livestream.

Fortescue spokesperson said: “Dr Andrew Forrest and Fortescue care deeply about all First Nations people, including the Yindjibarndi community.

“Fortescue accepts that the Yindjibarndi people are entitled to compensation. The company has agreed to and pays financial compensation under all of its other seven native title agreements.”

The National Native Title Council, which advocates for Indigenous land rights across Australia, said the ruling was “the tip of the iceberg” in relation to unpaid native title claims.

“Like any other landholder, native title holders are entitled to compensation when their property rights are infringed,” said chief executive Jamie Lowe. “Yet First Nations communities face expensive legal battles to access the compensation owed to them.”

The Yindjibarndi people first filed their native title claim in 2003 and were awarded exclusive rights over a 2,700sqkm area of the Pilbara in 2017. The compensation case followed Fortescue’s failed appeal of that ruling.

Related Posts

World

Who was Krystal Anderson? Body found in search for missing South Carolina mom 4 years after she was murdered by BF

May 19, 2026
World

At least eight injured after car ramming attack, attempted stabbing in Italian city of Modena

May 19, 2026
World

Two teenagers arrested for 10 ‘random’ shootings in Texas crime spree, police say

May 19, 2026
World

4 Dead, 8 Injured As Gunman Opens Fire In Southern Turkey: Report

May 19, 2026
World

Protests over asylum policy spread across Dutch cities

May 19, 2026
World

James Robinson cause of death: What happened to the LIFE Today host? Details on TV pastor's passing

May 19, 2026
No Result
View All Result
News

Erotic Monday Night: A passionate connection, by Tiwa Says

by News Break
May 19, 2026
0

Some weekends are spent alone and that’s ok because it allows you to do some critical thinking. I was basking...

Read more

Al-Minuki’s Death Should Signal New Phase in Anti-Terror War — Sani Usman

May 19, 2026

School Abduction: We Will Not Give In To Terror, Makinde Declares

May 19, 2026

Dangote Refinery Reduces Fuel Price

May 19, 2026

Who was Krystal Anderson? Body found in search for missing South Carolina mom 4 years after she was murdered by BF

May 19, 2026

Man, 59, Lands In Trouble For Standing As Surety For Suspected Criminal

May 19, 2026

BREAKING: S&P raises Nigeria’s credit rating on stronger economy

May 19, 2026

2027: Senator Lawan secures APC ticket for Yobe North

May 19, 2026

WHO warns global preparedness failing amid rising pandemic threats

May 19, 2026

El-Rufai family, loyalists protest at DSS HQ over detention

May 19, 2026
  • Home
  • About
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
© 2025 GossipsNG. All rights reserved.
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Society
  • Latest
  • World