GossipsNG.com
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Society
  • Latest
  • World
No Result
View All Result
Wednesday, May 20, 2026
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Society
  • Latest
  • World
No Result
View All Result
GossipsNG.com
No Result
View All Result

NRS denies blanket waivers as port agents protest delays

by News Break
May 20, 2026
in Business
0
152
SHARES
1.9k
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Whatsapp

Weeks after the Nigerian Revenue Service and the Nigerian Shippers’ Council said they would urge shipping companies and terminal operators to grant waivers to importers and their agents affected by delays linked to the implementation of the National Single Window, licensed agents operating at the nation’s seaports have accused the NRS and the NSC of not keeping to their promises.

But the Special Adviser to the NRS boss, Dare Adekenmbi, countered the position of the agents, stressing that there was no blanket waiver for importers.

“We have met with the terminal operators, and they have confirmed that importers or agents impacted by the initial glitches from the NSW launch can apply for demurrage waivers,” he stated.

Adekenmbi added, “However, such importers/agents need to ensure they have enough evidence to support their claims. There will be no ‘blanket’ waivers on demurrage, as we know that some importers/agents may take undue advantage of such.”

But the agents, who earlier spoke with Sunday NGGOSSIPS, described the statement by the NRS and the NSC as a political promise that was not fulfilled.

In April, it was reported that the NSC and the NRS urged shipping companies and terminal operators to grant waivers to importers and clearing agents affected by delays linked to the implementation of the National Single Window at the nation’s seaports.

The appeal was made during a stakeholders’ meeting in Lagos that brought together representatives of the council, NRS, National Single Window Secretariat, terminal operators, and shipping companies to review the progress and challenges of the newly introduced system.

Speaking at the meeting, the Executive Secretary and Chief Executive Officer of NSC, Dr Pius Akutah, acknowledged that while the NSW initiative marked a major milestone for the maritime industry, “its rollout has been accompanied by initial operational challenges impacting cargo clearance timelines.”

Also speaking, the Chairman of the NRS, Dr Zacch Adedeji, urged shipping companies and terminal operators to show understanding by “granting waivers on demurrage and storage charges incurred during the delay period.”

Giving an update on that, the Apapa Chapter Chairman of the National Council of Managing Directors of Licensed Customs Agents, Mr Abayomi Duyile, said nothing had been done.

“They didn’t do anything; they didn’t do anything as I speak to you now. There is no waiver for any agent that I know of. Even today, I am just coming from a meeting with a shipping company. They had a stakeholders’ engagement to inform us of the areas they are going to increase,” he said.

Also speaking, a former acting National President of the Association of Nigerian Licensed Customs Agents, Kayode Farinto, said there was nothing like that. “It’s all propaganda. Nothing like that, no waiver has been granted, to the best of my knowledge. It’s a political statement,” he said.

Farinto admitted that some of the challenges facing the NSW were gradually being tackled. “I think they are actually surmounting most of their challenges, and it’s moving gradually. Because some of the agencies that are giving them problems, like the Standard Organisation of Nigeria and the National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control, have reversed it to how it used to be before,” he said.

An attempt to speak with the spokesperson for the NSC, Rebecca Adamu, was unsuccessful as she did not respond to messages sent to her as of the time of filing this report.

Weeks after the Nigerian Revenue Service and the Nigerian Shippers’ Council said they would urge shipping companies and terminal operators to grant waivers to importers and their agents affected by delays linked to the implementation of the National Single Window, licensed agents operating at the nation’s seaports have accused the NRS and the NSC of not keeping to their promises.

But the Special Adviser to the NRS boss, Dare Adekenmbi, countered the position of the agents, stressing that there was no blanket waiver for importers.

“We have met with the terminal operators, and they have confirmed that importers or agents impacted by the initial glitches from the NSW launch can apply for demurrage waivers,” he stated.

Adekenmbi added, “However, such importers/agents need to ensure they have enough evidence to support their claims. There will be no ‘blanket’ waivers on demurrage, as we know that some importers/agents may take undue advantage of such.”

But the agents, who earlier spoke with Sunday NGGOSSIPS, described the statement by the NRS and the NSC as a political promise that was not fulfilled.

In April, it was reported that the NSC and the NRS urged shipping companies and terminal operators to grant waivers to importers and clearing agents affected by delays linked to the implementation of the National Single Window at the nation’s seaports.

The appeal was made during a stakeholders’ meeting in Lagos that brought together representatives of the council, NRS, National Single Window Secretariat, terminal operators, and shipping companies to review the progress and challenges of the newly introduced system.

Speaking at the meeting, the Executive Secretary and Chief Executive Officer of NSC, Dr Pius Akutah, acknowledged that while the NSW initiative marked a major milestone for the maritime industry, “its rollout has been accompanied by initial operational challenges impacting cargo clearance timelines.”

Also speaking, the Chairman of the NRS, Dr Zacch Adedeji, urged shipping companies and terminal operators to show understanding by “granting waivers on demurrage and storage charges incurred during the delay period.”

Giving an update on that, the Apapa Chapter Chairman of the National Council of Managing Directors of Licensed Customs Agents, Mr Abayomi Duyile, said nothing had been done.

“They didn’t do anything; they didn’t do anything as I speak to you now. There is no waiver for any agent that I know of. Even today, I am just coming from a meeting with a shipping company. They had a stakeholders’ engagement to inform us of the areas they are going to increase,” he said.

Also speaking, a former acting National President of the Association of Nigerian Licensed Customs Agents, Kayode Farinto, said there was nothing like that. “It’s all propaganda. Nothing like that, no waiver has been granted, to the best of my knowledge. It’s a political statement,” he said.

Farinto admitted that some of the challenges facing the NSW were gradually being tackled. “I think they are actually surmounting most of their challenges, and it’s moving gradually. Because some of the agencies that are giving them problems, like the Standard Organisation of Nigeria and the National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control, have reversed it to how it used to be before,” he said.

An attempt to speak with the spokesperson for the NSC, Rebecca Adamu, was unsuccessful as she did not respond to messages sent to her as of the time of filing this report.

Related Posts

Business

FirstBank, Visa Expand Premium Card Portfolio with Visa Signature Launch

May 19, 2026
Business

EFCC invites petitions over Borno senator’s N135m cash gift

May 19, 2026
Business

Otti knocks Abure for selling LP gov forms

May 19, 2026
Business

Fidelity Bank grows Gross Earnings by 45.6% for FY 2025

May 19, 2026
Business

Capital Hotel grows 2025 revenue by 59%

May 19, 2026
Business

SIFAX Group Congratulates Onigbinde on Election as MARAN President

May 19, 2026
No Result
View All Result
World

Meghan urges global health leaders to act to keep children safe online

by News Break
May 20, 2026
0

Meghan, the Duchess of Sussex, has urged global health leaders to act to keep children safe online, adding they are...

Read more

Enugu Residents Ready to Re-Elect Mbah, Align With APC — Ejeh Josh

May 20, 2026

‘A lot happened’ – Victor Boniface’s first words after confirmation of Werder Bremen exit

May 20, 2026

Love Currency: “I Can’t Marry Him Because He’s Too Comfortable Being Broke”

May 20, 2026

“They could pass as sisters” – Singer Waje and daughter, Emerald, twin in new photo

May 20, 2026

The Japa Syndrome in Nigeria Has to Stop — Goodluck Jonathan

May 20, 2026

Terrorist Attack: Nigeria Police hold prayers for seventeen officers murdered in Yobe

May 20, 2026

Cybercrime: Abuja court admits DSS report, grants activist bail

May 20, 2026

I Want To Die With Smile On My Face Saying All People I Met,I Tried To Put Smile On Their Face–Frank Edoho

May 20, 2026

REPENTANCE IS NOT SECURITY CLEARANCE

May 20, 2026
  • Home
  • About
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
© 2025 GossipsNG. All rights reserved.
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Society
  • Latest
  • World