GossipsNG.com
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Society
  • Latest
  • World
No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, May 19, 2026
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Society
  • Latest
  • World
No Result
View All Result
GossipsNG.com
No Result
View All Result

South Korea weighs phased role in Hormuz mission after US talks, defense minister says

by News Break
May 14, 2026
in World
0
152
SHARES
1.9k
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Whatsapp

South Korea is reviewing a phased contribution to efforts to ensure safe navigation through the Strait of Hormuz, Defense Minister Ahn Gyu-back said on Wednesday, signaling support steps short of military participation.

Ahn told a press conference with South Korean reporters in Washington that he had conveyed Seoul’s position at a meeting with US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth on Monday.

“We said at about this level that, fundamentally, we will participate as a responsible member of the international community and that we will review ways to contribute in a phased manner,” Ahn said in comments confirmed by Seoul’s ministry.

Ahn said possible forms of phased support could include expressions of political support, personnel dispatches, information-sharing, and the provision of military assets, while stressing that no detailed discussions had taken place on expanding South Korean troop involvement.

“There was no deep discussion on something like specifically expanding our military’s participation,” he said, adding that any decisions would need to follow domestic legal procedures.

South Korean Navy’s Sejong the Great, Aegis Destroyer, takes part in a fleet review to mark the 80th anniversary of the Navy’s founding, in the waters off Busan, South Korea, September 26, 2025. (credit: REUTERS/KIM HONG-JI)

Attack in South Korean ship

The meeting between South Korean and US defense chiefs came a day after Seoul denounced an attack on a South Korean-flagged vessel near the Strait of Hormuz last week.

South Korea’s presidential office strongly condemned the incident but said it was still investigating responsibility for the attack.

Ahn said he discussed the attack on the cargo ship with US officials, adding that Seoul would decide on any response only after the probe was complete.

At the meeting on Monday, Hegseth said Washington expected allies to “stand shoulder-to-shoulder” amid rising global threats, citing US President Donald Trump’s authorization of what he called Operation Epic Fury as evidence of the administration’s resolve.

He praised Seoul’s plans to increase defense spending and assume greater responsibility for the security of the Korean Peninsula, calling it an example of alliance burden-sharing.

Ahn told reporters Hegseth expressed understanding over South Korea’s position on a conditions-based transfer of wartime operational control (OPCON) from the United States, and the goal of completing the transition at an early date.

Washington had a “slightly different view” on the OPCON transfer process, Ahn said, adding that Seoul would continue efforts to persuade the United States.

South Korean President Lee Jae Myung’s administration has signaled it aims to finalize the ‌process ⁠during his term, which runs through to 2030, once the country meets a set of military capability conditions agreed with Washington.

Ahn also said that the two sides exchanged views on other alliance issues, including plans to build nuclear-powered submarines.

He said there had been no discussion during the talks about a reduction in US forces stationed in South Korea or about the strategic flexibility of US troops stationed in the country.

Related Posts

World

James Robinson cause of death: What happened to the LIFE Today host? Details on TV pastor's passing

May 19, 2026
World

WHO declares Ebola outbreak in Congo and Uganda an international emergency

May 19, 2026
World

Two US military jets collide in mid-air in front of shocked spectators during air show

May 19, 2026
World

PM Narendra Modi Receives Norway’s Highest Civilian Honour Grand Cross, 32nd Global Award For Him

May 19, 2026
World

DR Congo condemns rebel attacks on mining sites in east

May 19, 2026
World

Madison tornado update: Wisconsin's Verona, Fitchburg, Monona under warning; twister to hit soon

May 19, 2026
No Result
View All Result
News

“APC Risks Anti-Party Revolt From Trapped, Disgruntled Aspirants” — As Hundreds Decry Imposition, Deceit And A Legal Trap That Has Sealed The Defection Route

by Vincent Uju
May 19, 2026
0

*As 19 APC Reps Lose Return TicketsThe All Progressives Congress (APC) is sitting on a keg of political gunpowder. Unless...

Read more

Imo East APC aspirant Enwere pulls out of senatorial race

May 19, 2026

THE TRIAL OF EL-RUFAI

May 19, 2026

My mother-in-law ruined my daughter’s pageant dress — Because she wasn’t her biological grandchild

May 19, 2026

Forensic examiner tells court passport was forged in alleged London property case

May 19, 2026

Dapo Abiodun Wins Ogun East APC Senatorial Primary

May 19, 2026

Senate Rule Amendment Debate Should Focus on Institutional Growth — Eyiboh

May 19, 2026

APC Primaries: Powerful 50 Lawmakers Among Losers (FULL LIST)

May 19, 2026

James Robinson cause of death: What happened to the LIFE Today host? Details on TV pastor's passing

May 19, 2026

Man, 26, Arraigned For Allegedly Swindling Empire Trust Microfinance Bank Of N10m Via Loan

May 19, 2026
  • Home
  • About
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
© 2025 GossipsNG. All rights reserved.
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Society
  • Latest
  • World