GossipsNG.com
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Society
  • Latest
  • World
No Result
View All Result
Thursday, May 21, 2026
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Society
  • Latest
  • World
No Result
View All Result
GossipsNG.com
No Result
View All Result

Sudan hospital attack toll rises to 70: WHO

by News Break
May 21, 2026
in World
0
152
SHARES
1.9k
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Whatsapp

The death toll from a strike on a hospital in East Darfur has risen from 64 to 70, the WHO said Tuesday, calling the hit an attack on survival in Sudan’s devastating war.

The World Health Organization said the number of people injured in Friday’s strike on the El-Daein Teaching Hospital in the state capital of East Darfur had also increased from 89 to 146, with the facility now out of action.

Hala Khudari, the deputy WHO representative in Sudan and the UN agency’s health emergency lead in the country, called it an “atrocious attack”.

She said the death toll included seven women and 13 children, one doctor and two nurses, while those injured included patients, their family members and eight health workers.

“The hospital sustained severe damage, particularly to the outpatient and emergency departments,” she told a press briefing in Geneva, speaking from Port Sudan.

“This hospital had already been damaged in a previous attack in August 2024. Since this latest attack, the hospital is no longer functional.”

The facility served as a referral hospital for more than two million people across El-Daein city and nine localities in East Darfur state. Patients may now need to travel 160 kilometres (around 100 miles) to reach the next referral hospital, said Khudari.

“An attack on a hospital is not only an attack on a building. It is an attack on people seeking care, on health workers risking their lives to save others, and on the very possibility of survival in times of crisis,” she said.

“Access to care is shrinking. And efforts to repair or restore damaged facilities and equipment are being undermined.”

Khudari said the WHO’s Sudan health response for 2026 was currently only 5.7 percent funded.

Since erupting in April 2023, the conflict between the Sudanese Armed Forces and the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF) has killed tens of thousands and forced 11 million people to flee their homes.

Sudanese rights group Emergency Lawyers reported that the hospital was hit by an army drone strike.

The RSF dominates the vast Darfur region in western Sudan, while Sudan’s army is in control of the east, centre and north.

RSF-controlled El-Daein has been regularly attacked by the Sudanese army, which is trying to push the paramilitaries back towards its Darfur strongholds and away from Sudan’s central corridor.

The death toll from a strike on a hospital in East Darfur has risen from 64 to 70, the WHO said Tuesday, calling the hit an attack on survival in Sudan’s devastating war.

The World Health Organization said the number of people injured in Friday’s strike on the El-Daein Teaching Hospital in the state capital of East Darfur had also increased from 89 to 146, with the facility now out of action.

Hala Khudari, the deputy WHO representative in Sudan and the UN agency’s health emergency lead in the country, called it an “atrocious attack”.

She said the death toll included seven women and 13 children, one doctor and two nurses, while those injured included patients, their family members and eight health workers.

“The hospital sustained severe damage, particularly to the outpatient and emergency departments,” she told a press briefing in Geneva, speaking from Port Sudan.

“This hospital had already been damaged in a previous attack in August 2024. Since this latest attack, the hospital is no longer functional.”

The facility served as a referral hospital for more than two million people across El-Daein city and nine localities in East Darfur state. Patients may now need to travel 160 kilometres (around 100 miles) to reach the next referral hospital, said Khudari.

“An attack on a hospital is not only an attack on a building. It is an attack on people seeking care, on health workers risking their lives to save others, and on the very possibility of survival in times of crisis,” she said.

“Access to care is shrinking. And efforts to repair or restore damaged facilities and equipment are being undermined.”

Khudari said the WHO’s Sudan health response for 2026 was currently only 5.7 percent funded.

Since erupting in April 2023, the conflict between the Sudanese Armed Forces and the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF) has killed tens of thousands and forced 11 million people to flee their homes.

Sudanese rights group Emergency Lawyers reported that the hospital was hit by an army drone strike.

The RSF dominates the vast Darfur region in western Sudan, while Sudan’s army is in control of the east, centre and north.

RSF-controlled El-Daein has been regularly attacked by the Sudanese army, which is trying to push the paramilitaries back towards its Darfur strongholds and away from Sudan’s central corridor.

Related Posts

World

Mamdani ‘looking into’ revoking three press passes over Luigi Mangione support; details

May 21, 2026
World

Terrorists 'will be brought to justice,' San Diego mayor warns after deadly mosque shooting

May 21, 2026
World

Nato jets scrambled after drone flies near Lithuanian capital as residents told to ‘immediately take shelter’

May 21, 2026
World

“Violates Dignity”: Meloni Rips Into Israel Over Gaza Protesters Video

May 21, 2026
World

Middletown shooting update: Shelter-in-place ordered in parts of Connecticut city; first details on suspect

May 21, 2026
World

Cuban president warns US aggression would create a 'bloodbath'

May 21, 2026
No Result
View All Result
Society

UPDATED: Fubara Withdraws From APC Governorship Primary

by News Break
May 21, 2026
0

 Rivers State Governor, Siminalayi Fubara, has announced his withdrawal from the All Progressives Congress (APC) governorship primary election in the...

Read more

Alli Set for Oyo APC Governorship Primary, Denies Withdrawal Rumours

May 21, 2026

Retired Police Officer Defeats Popular Ex-Governor, Serving Senator to APC Senate Ticket

May 21, 2026

Mamdani ‘looking into’ revoking three press passes over Luigi Mangione support; details

May 21, 2026

Man, 34, Sentenced To Death By Hanging For Serial Kidnapping, Armed Robbery

May 21, 2026

Nigerians, others deported by US arrive in Sierra Leone

May 21, 2026

Atiku appears before ADC screening panel, promises robust security reforms

May 21, 2026

BREAKING: Herbalist’s wife bathes co-wife with hot water

May 21, 2026

NDLEA dismantles ‘N480bn Meth laboratory’ in Ogun, nabs 10 suspects

May 21, 2026

Terrorists 'will be brought to justice,' San Diego mayor warns after deadly mosque shooting

May 21, 2026
  • Home
  • About
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
© 2025 GossipsNG. All rights reserved.
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Society
  • Latest
  • World