GossipsNG.com
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Society
  • Latest
  • World
No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, May 19, 2026
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Society
  • Latest
  • World
No Result
View All Result
GossipsNG.com
No Result
View All Result

Trans woman wins landmark victory in discrimination case against ‘Giggle for Girls’ social media app

by News Break
May 15, 2026
in World
0
152
SHARES
1.9k
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Whatsapp

On The Ground newsletter: Get a weekly dispatch from our international correspondents

Get a weekly dispatch from our international correspondents

Get a weekly international news dispatch

On The Ground

The Federal Court of Australia ruled on Friday that a women-only social media platform unlawfully discriminated against a transgender woman by banning her from the app and doubled the damages awarded to her.

The court said Roxanne Tickle’s exclusion from Giggle for Girls amounted to unlawful discrimination on the basis of gender identity, and increased the damages awarded to her from £5,361 to £10,722. It also ordered the platform to pay legal costs amounting to £26,805, according to the Guardian.

The case, originally filed in December 2022, is believed to be the first gender-identity discrimination matter to reach the federal court since protections relating to gender identity were added to the Sex Discrimination Act in 2013.

Giggle for Girls was launched in 2020 by Australian writer and app developer Sall Grover as a women-only social networking platform and digital “safe space” for women. The app allowed users to connect for friendship, professional networking, housing, support groups and activism, and used selfie-based facial recognition software to determine whether applicants appeared female before granting access.

Judges Melissa Perry, Wendy Abraham and Geoffrey Kennett upheld a 2024 decision by Justice Robert Bromwich, who had found the app and its founder indirectly discriminated against Tickle by blocking her access to the platform in 2021 after determining that she appeared to be male.

In its ruling, the federal court underscored two instances of direct discrimination. First, when Tickle was excluded from the platform because of her “gender-related appearance”. Second, when she was refused readmission.

“This amounted to direct discrimination by reference to a characteristic that pertains to people of Ms Tickle’s gender identity, being a transgender woman,” Justice Perry said, according to Reuters. “Ms Tickle has been successful in her cross appeal under the act, gender identity is defined as meaning gender-related identity and gender-related characteristics, including appearance.”

Roxanne Tickle leaves the Federal Court of Australia
Roxanne Tickle leaves the Federal Court of Australia (Reuters)

Tickle joined the app in 2021 after uploading a selfie as part of the registration process, which used AI to assess whether users appeared female. Her account was soon restricted following a manual review by Grover.

The court heard Tickle had lived as a woman since 2017, undergone gender-affirming surgery and held an updated birth certificate that listed her sex as female.

In his ruling last year, Justice Bromwich observed that the app had imposed a condition requiring users to appear “cisgendered female”, disadvantaging transgender women. He rejected Grover’s argument that sex assigned at birth was immutable, writing that Australian court decisions over three decades had established that “sex is changeable”, according to the ABC.

Grover appealed the ruling, arguing that the app had been created as a “women-only safe space” and qualified as a “special measure” under Australia’s Sex Discrimination Act, which permitted some discriminatory measures intended to address historical disadvantage between men and women.

The federal court rejected the argument and upheld Justice Bromwich’s finding that the exemption did not apply.

Giggle for Girls founder Sall Grover says she is ‘absolutely devastated’ by the federal court’s decision
Giggle for Girls founder Sall Grover says she is ‘absolutely devastated’ by the federal court’s decision (Reuters)

The judges also criticised aspects of Grover’s conduct during the proceedings, saying her use of male pronouns for Tickle was unnecessary.

“Some of her conduct was gratuitous, disrespectful, and unnecessary to the conduct of her case,” the judges wrote. “It did not advance her defence.”

Tickle had argued in her cross-appeal that the original damages awarded did not reflect the emotional impact of the discrimination and the effect of Grover’s public comments and conduct. Outside the court in Sydney on Friday, Tickle said she hoped the ruling would help “trans and gender diverse people and their loved ones to heal”.

“I’ve brought my case to show trans people that you can be brave and that you can stand up for yourself. In the process, I surprised myself at how brave I could be.”

Tickle said she had not anticipated the hostility she would face after beginning gender affirmation in 2017. “I had no idea that a small minority of people who had never met me would invest an incredible amount of their own precious time and effort into ridiculing, degrading, threatening and mocking me,” she said. “Sometimes it’s difficult to remember that most Australians are kind and believe in allowing everyone to be free to live their life in dignity and be free to be who they truly are.”

Grover wrote on social media that she was “absolutely devastated” by the decision and that she would be taking the case to the High Court.

“Men who claim to be women have more rights than actual women in Australia. It is women who are being discriminated against, not the men who claim to be us. But in a sense, nothing has changed: we will all wake up tomorrow and men will still not be women,” she posted on X.

Related Posts

World

James Robinson cause of death: What happened to the LIFE Today host? Details on TV pastor's passing

May 19, 2026
World

WHO declares Ebola outbreak in Congo and Uganda an international emergency

May 19, 2026
World

Two US military jets collide in mid-air in front of shocked spectators during air show

May 19, 2026
World

PM Narendra Modi Receives Norway’s Highest Civilian Honour Grand Cross, 32nd Global Award For Him

May 19, 2026
World

DR Congo condemns rebel attacks on mining sites in east

May 19, 2026
World

Madison tornado update: Wisconsin's Verona, Fitchburg, Monona under warning; twister to hit soon

May 19, 2026
No Result
View All Result
News

“APC Risks Anti-Party Revolt From Trapped, Disgruntled Aspirants” — As Hundreds Decry Imposition, Deceit And A Legal Trap That Has Sealed The Defection Route

by Vincent Uju
May 19, 2026
0

*As 19 APC Reps Lose Return TicketsThe All Progressives Congress (APC) is sitting on a keg of political gunpowder. Unless...

Read more

Imo East APC aspirant Enwere pulls out of senatorial race

May 19, 2026

THE TRIAL OF EL-RUFAI

May 19, 2026

My mother-in-law ruined my daughter’s pageant dress — Because she wasn’t her biological grandchild

May 19, 2026

Forensic examiner tells court passport was forged in alleged London property case

May 19, 2026

Dapo Abiodun Wins Ogun East APC Senatorial Primary

May 19, 2026

Senate Rule Amendment Debate Should Focus on Institutional Growth — Eyiboh

May 19, 2026

APC Primaries: Powerful 50 Lawmakers Among Losers (FULL LIST)

May 19, 2026

James Robinson cause of death: What happened to the LIFE Today host? Details on TV pastor's passing

May 19, 2026

Man, 26, Arraigned For Allegedly Swindling Empire Trust Microfinance Bank Of N10m Via Loan

May 19, 2026
  • Home
  • About
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
© 2025 GossipsNG. All rights reserved.
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Society
  • Latest
  • World