GossipsNG.com
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Society
  • Latest
  • World
No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, May 19, 2026
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Society
  • Latest
  • World
No Result
View All Result
GossipsNG.com
No Result
View All Result

UAE has secretly been carrying out military strikes on Iran, report says

by News Break
May 14, 2026
in World
0
152
SHARES
1.9k
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Whatsapp

On The Ground newsletter: Get a weekly dispatch from our international correspondents

Get a weekly dispatch from our international correspondents

Get a weekly international news dispatch

On The Ground

The United Arab Emirates has carried out secret strikes on Iran during the war started by the US and Israel earlier this year, according to a report, in what would mark the first involvement of a Gulf nation in the conflict.

The Gulf monarchy was Iran’s number one target since it began its retaliatory attacks across the region, targeting states that are allied with the US.

The UAE has not publicly acknowledged the strikes, which included an attack on a refinery on Iran’s Lavan Island in the Persian Gulf in early April, around the time Donald Trump announced a temporary truce, The Wall Street Journal reported.

Smoke and flames rise from an energy installation in Fujairah in March
Smoke and flames rise from an energy installation in Fujairah in March (AFP/Getty)

The apparent attacks indicate the country will use force to protect its economic interests, after Tehran sought to damage its oil and gas facilities.

Iran said the Lavan Island refinery had been struck in an enemy attack and launched several missile and drone strikes against Kuwait and the UAE in response.

The US welcomed the participation of the UAE and any other Gulf states in the war, one source told the WSJ. The Independent has contacted the Pentagon, which declined to comment, and Abu Dhabi’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs, which did not immediately respond.

Arab states had been largely reluctant to engage in the war with Iran and were believed to be unhappy at Washington’s decision to launch the war on 28 February, after they became collateral damage.

Donald Trump, seen here in May 2025, touring the Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque in UAE
Donald Trump, seen here in May 2025, touring the Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque in UAE (Getty)

In the weeks leading up to the US-Israeli attacks, Gulf states were urging Washington to avoid war, aware of the chaos it could unleash on oil markets and the regional economy. Analysts also said there were fears about the impact of regime change in Tehran and the possibility of even more radical elements taking power.

Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Oman, Turkey and Egypt were all reportedly involved in lobbying the US to pull back its threats in February and halt its military buildup in the region, keen to avoid becoming part of a frontline of a conflict they did not choose.

According to Al Jazeera, however, the UAE was less outspoken in the week leading up to the attacks and has diverged from other countries in the Gulf Central Council by deepening ties with Israel and adopting different positions on Sudan and Yemen.

A steeplejack assesses the damage after a drone strike in Dubai's Creek Harbour
A steeplejack assesses the damage after a drone strike in Dubai’s Creek Harbour (AFP/Getty)

After the war was launched, the UAE appears to have decided military engagement was necessary.

“It’s significant to have a Gulf Arab country as a warring party that struck Iran directly,” said Dina Esfandiary, Middle East analyst and author of a book on the rise of the UAE.

He added: “Tehran will now aim to further drive a wedge between the UAE and other Gulf Arabs who are trying to mediate an end to the war.”

Related Posts

World

James Robinson cause of death: What happened to the LIFE Today host? Details on TV pastor's passing

May 19, 2026
World

WHO declares Ebola outbreak in Congo and Uganda an international emergency

May 19, 2026
World

Two US military jets collide in mid-air in front of shocked spectators during air show

May 19, 2026
World

PM Narendra Modi Receives Norway’s Highest Civilian Honour Grand Cross, 32nd Global Award For Him

May 19, 2026
World

DR Congo condemns rebel attacks on mining sites in east

May 19, 2026
World

Madison tornado update: Wisconsin's Verona, Fitchburg, Monona under warning; twister to hit soon

May 19, 2026
No Result
View All Result
Politics

Imo East APC aspirant Enwere pulls out of senatorial race

by Vincent Uju
May 19, 2026
0

Honourable Belusochukwu Michael Enwere has pulled out of the All Progressives Congress (APC) senatorial race for Imo East, just days...

Read more

THE TRIAL OF EL-RUFAI

May 19, 2026

My mother-in-law ruined my daughter’s pageant dress — Because she wasn’t her biological grandchild

May 19, 2026

Forensic examiner tells court passport was forged in alleged London property case

May 19, 2026

Dapo Abiodun Wins Ogun East APC Senatorial Primary

May 19, 2026

Senate Rule Amendment Debate Should Focus on Institutional Growth — Eyiboh

May 19, 2026

APC Primaries: Powerful 50 Lawmakers Among Losers (FULL LIST)

May 19, 2026

James Robinson cause of death: What happened to the LIFE Today host? Details on TV pastor's passing

May 19, 2026

Man, 26, Arraigned For Allegedly Swindling Empire Trust Microfinance Bank Of N10m Via Loan

May 19, 2026

Akpabio emerges APC Akwa Ibom North West senatorial candidate

May 19, 2026
  • Home
  • About
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
© 2025 GossipsNG. All rights reserved.
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Society
  • Latest
  • World