GossipsNG.com
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Society
  • Latest
  • World
No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, May 19, 2026
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Society
  • Latest
  • World
No Result
View All Result
GossipsNG.com
No Result
View All Result

US-based Nigerian doctor escapes death in Oyo mob attack

by News Break
May 14, 2026
in News
0
152
SHARES
1.9k
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Whatsapp

A Nigerian medical doctor based in the United States of America, identified simply as Afolabi, narrowly escaped death after a mob attacked him over a false kidnapping allegation in Ibadan, Oyo State.

The incident, according to findings by GOSSIPSNG Metro on Wednesday, occurred on Monday around 2:30 pm at the 2nd Powerline area, Ologuneru, along the Eleyele–Ido Road in Ido Local Government Area of the state.

It was gathered that the mob had already set the victim’s Lexus RX 330 SUV ablaze before the arrival of police operatives.

Two girls, identified as Deborah, 15, and Rebecca, 12, who were found inside the vehicle, were also taken into protective custody alongside the doctor for investigation.

Confirming the incident in a statement issued in Ibadan on Wednesday, the Oyo State Police Public Relations Officer, Olayinka Ayanlade, said the command received a distress call from residents alleging that a suspected kidnapper was about to be lynched by a mob.

“The incident followed a distress call received from concerned citizens alleging that a suspected kidnapper was about to be lynched and set ablaze by an angry mob,” Ayanlade said.

He explained that a combined team of patrol and detective officers led by the Divisional Crime Officer of the Eleyele Police Station swiftly moved to the scene and rescued the victim from the crowd.

“However, before the arrival of the police, his Lexus RX 330 SUV had already been set ablaze by the mob, while two young girls, identified as Deborah, aged 15 years, and Rebecca, aged 12 years, found inside the vehicle, were equally taken into protective custody alongside the suspect for proper investigation,” he added.

According to the police spokesman, preliminary investigations revealed that Afolabi is a medical doctor practising in the United States and not a kidnapper, contrary to claims circulated on social media.

Further findings showed that the two girls were legally handed over to him by one Mrs Idowu Abimbola, 56, of the Eleyele area of Ibadan, to be delivered to his mother for domestic assistance.

Ayanlade said Abimbola was invited by the police and confirmed the arrangement, while the girls also corroborated her account.

The PPRO explained that the misunderstanding began when Afolabi attempted to gain access through the Polytechnic gate and was stopped by a security guard for a routine vehicle inspection.

“Upon lowering the vehicle’s window glass, the two girls were allegedly seen half-naked, a situation which immediately aroused suspicion among bystanders and security personnel,” he said.

He added that the doctor’s inability to provide satisfactory answers at the scene and his attempt to drive away heightened residents’ suspicions.

“The situation was compounded by the inability of the two girls to speak the local language or properly express themselves in English, thereby fuelling the false alarm of kidnapping,” Ayanlade stated.

The police spokesman said the development triggered a mob chase, during which the victim was intercepted and severely beaten by irate youths before police intervention.

He added that the doctor sustained serious injuries and was rushed to the Police Medical Services, where he is currently receiving treatment.

Ayanlade said statements had been obtained from eyewitnesses, including an Okada rider allegedly hit during the confusion, while efforts were ongoing to identify and arrest those involved in the mob action and destruction of property.

The Commissioner of Police in the state, Olugbenga Abimbola, condemned the act of jungle justice and the spread of false information capable of creating tension and undermining security efforts in the state.

He warned against self-help, mob violence, and the circulation of unverified information on social media, describing them as threats to public peace and order.

The CP directed a comprehensive investigation into the incident and ordered the immediate arrest and prosecution of all those involved in the mob attack.

He also urged residents to remain law-abiding and report suspicious activities to security agencies instead of taking the law into their own hands.

“The command remains resolute in its commitment to safeguarding lives and property while ensuring that justice is served professionally, fairly, and in accordance with extant laws,” the CP added.

Related Posts

News

Erotic Monday Night: A passionate connection, by Tiwa Says

May 19, 2026
News

WHO warns global preparedness failing amid rising pandemic threats

May 19, 2026
News

APC Primaries: Agara records zero vote as NSUBEB chairman delivers Moroa ward to Sule

May 19, 2026
News

Policeman dies in Third Mainland Bridge crash

May 19, 2026
News

“APC Risks Anti-Party Revolt From Trapped, Disgruntled Aspirants” — As Hundreds Decry Imposition, Deceit And A Legal Trap That Has Sealed The Defection Route

May 19, 2026
News

Forensic examiner tells court passport was forged in alleged London property case

May 19, 2026
No Result
View All Result
News

Erotic Monday Night: A passionate connection, by Tiwa Says

by News Break
May 19, 2026
0

Some weekends are spent alone and that’s ok because it allows you to do some critical thinking. I was basking...

Read more

Al-Minuki’s Death Should Signal New Phase in Anti-Terror War — Sani Usman

May 19, 2026

School Abduction: We Will Not Give In To Terror, Makinde Declares

May 19, 2026

Dangote Refinery Reduces Fuel Price

May 19, 2026

Who was Krystal Anderson? Body found in search for missing South Carolina mom 4 years after she was murdered by BF

May 19, 2026

Man, 59, Lands In Trouble For Standing As Surety For Suspected Criminal

May 19, 2026

BREAKING: S&P raises Nigeria’s credit rating on stronger economy

May 19, 2026

2027: Senator Lawan secures APC ticket for Yobe North

May 19, 2026

WHO warns global preparedness failing amid rising pandemic threats

May 19, 2026

El-Rufai family, loyalists protest at DSS HQ over detention

May 19, 2026
  • Home
  • About
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
© 2025 GossipsNG. All rights reserved.
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Society
  • Latest
  • World