GossipsNG.com
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Society
  • Latest
  • World
No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, May 19, 2026
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Society
  • Latest
  • World
No Result
View All Result
GossipsNG.com
No Result
View All Result

Netanyahu threatens lawsuit over NY Times column as Jews protest outside newspaper headquarters

by News Break
May 15, 2026
in World
0
152
SHARES
1.9k
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Whatsapp

As backlash over a recent column published by the New York Times alleging that Israeli guards sexually abused Palestinian detainees reached a fever pitch on Thursday, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu broke his silence by threatening legal action against the paper.

“Today I instructed my legal advisers to consider the harshest legal action against The New York Times and Nicholas Kristof,” Netanyahu wrote in a post on X/twitter Thursday morning. “They defamed the soldiers of Israel and perpetuated a blood libel about rape, trying to create a false symmetry between the genocidal terrorists of Hamas and Israel’s valiant soldiers.”

Netanyahu’s legal warning, which followed a similar allegation of defamation over the paper’s coverage of starvation in Gaza last year, was dismissed by the Times in a statement distributed during a rally against the newspaper outside its Times Square headquarters late Thursday afternoon.

New York Times defends Kristof column

“This threat, similar to one made last year, is part of a well-worn political playbook that aims to undermine independent reporting and stifle journalism that does not fit a specific narrative,” said Danielle Rhoades Ha, a spokesperson for the paper. “Any such legal claim would be without merit.”

The statement went on to defend Kristof’s column, titled “The Silence That Meets the Rape of Palestinians,” calling it “deeply reported” and describing him as “widely regarded as one of the world’s best on-the-ground journalists in documenting and bearing witness to sexual abuse experienced by women and men in war and conflict zones.”

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu speaking at a press conference in Tel Aviv on the current Israel-Hamas war November 11, 2023. (credit: MARC ISRAEL SELLEM/THE JERUSALEM POST)

A Jewish legal scholar, Jed Rubenfeld, said in an essay in The Free Press that Netanyahu’s threatened lawsuit, if filed, would be “dead in the water” based on legal precedent.

Despite the New York Times’ repeated defense of the column, which chronicled detailed accounts of sexual abuse by Israeli guards, many Jewish groups and leaders have said it relied on biased sourcing to advance claims made by Palestinian detainees, including that guards trained dogs to rape Palestinian prisoners.

Protesters rally outside Times headquarters

The backlash spilled onto the streets of Manhattan Thursday evening, when more than 100 protesters waving Israeli flags and carrying signs reading “#End Jew Hatred” gathered outside the New York Times headquarters to demand the paper retract the column.

While the Times has previously faced blowback from pro-Israel voices for its reports alleging widespread starvation in Gaza, recent demonstrations at its headquarters have more often come from pro-Palestinian activists who accused the paper of having a bias toward Israel.

Thursday’s protest, organized by pro-Israel groups including EndJewHatred, Stop Antizionism, Hineni, and the Movement Against Antizionism, featured impassioned chants of “shame on Kristof” and “we demand action” amid steady drumbeats.

“We want to say that we are saying no to this,” Adam Louis-Klein, the founder of the Movement Against Antizionism, told the Jewish Telegraphic Agency. “We are saying no to anti-Zionist libels, and we are making the connection that is inherent between anti-Zionist libels and the violence and hatred that Jews are being subjected to every single day.”

Many attendees carried signs that read “J’accuse” next to the Times’ logo, a reference to the Dreyfus affair, as well as others that read “When did the New York Times become Der Sturmer?” a reference to the notorious Nazi newspaper.

Ellis Shrem, a 30-year-old rally participant, said Kristof’s column was enough to make him cancel his Times subscription altogether.

“I’ve been a New York Times subscriber for a long time, and I know they’re left-leaning, fine, but when you print blood libel, like, that’s just another, I just canceled the subscription,” Shrem said. “It just threw me over the edge, and that they refuse to retract, refuse to give an inch on something that they know they printed is evil. I just couldn’t take it anymore.”

Protesters warn of rising antisemitism

Anya Levitov, a 52-year-old participant, said that she had been “enraged” not just by Kristof’s column, but also by the many comments supporting the piece in its comments section. She said that the experience had felt “worse than it was in my childhood in the Soviet Union,” when anti-Zionist propaganda reigned, fueling local antisemitism.

“It’s just so absurd and so beyond the pale that it was hard for me to imagine that so many people would print it in the first place, but so many people would buy it,” Levitov said.

The protest drew heckles from some passersby, including a child who yelled into the crowd, “F–ck the Jews,” and a taxi driver who shouted from his vehicle, “Zionist pigs.” One woman who passed the group shouted, “You guys are depending on US taxes, losers.”

For many at the rally, the underlying call for the paper to retract Kristof’s piece was rooted in a fear that it would further inflame antisemitism online and beyond, a sentiment echoed in signs reading, “Antizionism gets Jews killed!”

“It’s a watershed moment for The Times, New York, and for the culture to do the right thing and correct the record on the story, because it’s not just The Times’ reputation that’s at risk, but Jewish safety,” attendee Michael Wigotsk said.

Related Posts

World

Madison tornado update: Wisconsin's Verona, Fitchburg, Monona under warning; twister to hit soon

May 19, 2026
World

US Secretary of State approves $25.8 billion in weapons sales to Middle East allies – report

May 19, 2026
World

Fired immigration judge sues Trump’s DOJ over discriminatory push to replace women and minorities with white men

May 19, 2026
World

Pak Deploys JF-17s, Thousands Of Troops In Saudi During Iran War: Report

May 19, 2026
World

Latvia’s president asks opposition leader to form new government

May 19, 2026
World

UFO files: What woman told FBI about ‘alien in earthly form’ in 1967

May 18, 2026
No Result
View All Result
Business

SIFAX Group Congratulates Onigbinde on Election as MARAN President

by News Break
May 19, 2026
0

SIFAX Group has congratulated Mr. Oluyinka Onigbinde on his election as the new President of the Maritime...

Read more

Repton CEO Calls for Digital Skills Acquisition at Lagos Career Fair

May 19, 2026

“He Insulted And Blocked Me”- Private Chef Alleges Harassment From Client After Booking

May 19, 2026

“Five Dead, 11 Injured” — Wike Orders Free Treatment As Three-Storey Building Collapses In Abuja

May 19, 2026

EX-Ebonyi lawmaker, Eni Uduma Chima emerges PDP Reps flagbearer for Afikpo/Edda Federal Constituency

May 19, 2026

Beyond Border Bans: Turning Nigeria’s Seme Border from a Revenue Leak into Goldmine of Billions of Naira

May 19, 2026

Nairobi: Family in distress after nurse daughter dies after short illness

May 19, 2026

FG arraigns man over alleged terrorism, impersonation

May 19, 2026

Bodies Of Four Missing Italian Divers Found In Undersea Maldives Cave

May 19, 2026

Tinubu ally Aminu-Ja’oji wins APC Reps ticket in Kano

May 19, 2026
  • Home
  • About
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
© 2025 GossipsNG. All rights reserved.
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Society
  • Latest
  • World