GossipsNG.com
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Society
  • Latest
  • World
No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, May 19, 2026
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Society
  • Latest
  • World
No Result
View All Result
GossipsNG.com
No Result
View All Result

Why Trump’s Pentagon wants to rebrand the Iran war

by News Break
May 14, 2026
in World
0
152
SHARES
1.9k
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Whatsapp

Sign up for the daily Inside Washington email for exclusive US coverage and analysis sent to your inbox

Get our free Inside Washington email

Get our free Inside Washington email

Inside Washington

The Pentagon is considering renaming the U.S.’s war with Iran to “Operation Sledgehammer” if hostilities resume, according to a report.​

The war began on February 28 under the name “Operation Epic Fury”, but efforts to bring an end to the conflict with a peace deal have stalled as neither side can agree on terms.

Trump is said to be considering further military action if Iran does not agree to a deal and reopen the key shipping route, the Strait of Hormuz.

A White House official told NBC News any fresh military combat action against Iran would be conducted under a new name and operation. Two U.S. officials told the outlet that “Operation Sledgehammer” was not the only name being considered.

Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth claimed that it was the Trump administration’s ‘understanding’ that the 60-day clock ‘pauses or stops’ during a ceasefire
Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth claimed that it was the Trump administration’s ‘understanding’ that the 60-day clock ‘pauses or stops’ during a ceasefire (Getty)

Whatever the name might be, the official said that from the Trump administration’s point of view, it would restart the 60-day clock that requires congressional approval for a war.

Last week, Secretary of State Marco Rubio declared that Operation Epic Fury was “over.”​

“The operation, Epic Fury, is concluded,” Rubio told reporters. “We achieved the objectives of that mission.”​

A two-week truce between the U.S. and Iran was agreed on April 8, with the agreement being extended indefinitely on April 21.

Under the War Powers Resolution of 1973, the president must notify Congress within 48 hours of committing armed forces to military action. The resolution forbids troops from remaining for more than 60 days, with a 30-day withdrawal period, if Congress does not authorize the military action.

President Donald Trump is said to be weighing new military options against Iran
President Donald Trump is said to be weighing new military options against Iran (AP)

During a Senate Armed Services Committee hearing, Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth said that it was the administration’s “understanding” that the 60-day clock “pauses or stops” during the ceasefire. ​

Senator Tim Kaine pushed back, suggesting that he does not “believe the statute would support that.”​

Currently, Iran has restricted the passage of ships through the Strait of Hormuz, with the United States also conducting its own blockade in the region. ​

Meanwhile, President Trump is weighing up options to reopen the strait and break the stalemate, one of the officials told NBC News. Trump is also skeptical that diplomatic talks with the Islamic Republic will succeed, but has not ordered the U.S. military to restart major combat operations, the official added. ​

“The blockade is giving decision space without major combat operations or putting a lot of folks at risk,” the official said. “The status quo will not persist.”​

If another campaign is launched against Iran, the U.S. military presence in the region is larger than it was at the start of the conflict, two officials told NBC News. ​

“We are in a better spot now than on February 27,” one official said. “We have more firepower and capability.”

On Truth Social, Trump branded an Iranian proposal to end the war as “TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE.”​

Speaking in the Oval Office on Monday, the president claimed that the ceasefire is on “massive life support.”

Related Posts

World

Trump issues dire warning to Iran to accept peace deal

May 19, 2026
World

Trump administration hosts White House Shabbat gathering for US 250th anniversary

May 19, 2026
World

Sexual misconduct scandals in Washington spark scramble for reforms, expedited investigations

May 19, 2026
World

Trump’s DOJ announces $1.7B fund to pay his allies who were ‘unfairly’ investigated by Democrats

May 19, 2026
World

Iranian parliament speaker appointed as special envoy to China: Report

May 19, 2026
World

Ex-Google CEO Eric Schmidt booed at University of Arizona over AI, sexual assault allegations by ex-girlfriend: Watch

May 19, 2026
No Result
View All Result
Politics

APC clears aspirants for C’River senatorial primaries

by Vincent Uju
May 19, 2026
0

The All Progressives Congress has cleared several aspirants to contest its senatorial primaries in Cross River State following a screening...

Read more

Power and Payback Debate Deepens as El-Rufai Story Sparks Fresh Political Reflection

May 19, 2026

Kiambu woman painfully says car torched in Githurai won't be compensated by insurance

May 19, 2026

João Pedro family breaks down after Brazil World Cup snub + Video

May 19, 2026

Stuttering Sabalenka Targets Strong Start At Roland Garros

May 19, 2026

OAU Inducts 157 Medical, Dental Graduates

May 19, 2026

Daniel’s Violence Allegation Hypocritical, Baseless — Ogun Govt

May 19, 2026

Trump issues dire warning to Iran to accept peace deal

May 19, 2026

Fight Or Flight: The Dilemma Driving Nigeria’s Great Migration

May 19, 2026

Gov Adeleke commended over student inclusion policy

May 19, 2026
  • Home
  • About
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
© 2025 GossipsNG. All rights reserved.
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Society
  • Latest
  • World